9. The Dream

"So... What does being an Alpha mean?" I asked Thisalee the next day as we were seated on the stairs outside the partly destroyed house.

We hadn't really talked about what happened last night. Mainly because I couldn't figure out how to turn back to human. I still had no idea how I did it.

"Some wolves – and humans – possess strong spirits. Alpha spirits. They are natural leaders and strong warriors, blessed by gods themselves," she explained quietly without looking at me. She was still acting timid around me, which hurt like hell.

"I'm sorry I didn't listen to you yesterday," I muttered, taking her hand in mine. At least she didn't pull it away. At least she allowed me to sit right next to her.

"I get it. You were overwhelmed and scared and nearly died... It was too much to take in at once... I should've waited before telling you," she murmured.

"My love," I whispered, hoping to see her emerald eyes. I waited for a moment, but she didn't move. "My baby girl..."

Finally, she nudged her head a little towards me, and let out a silent breath, her posture relaxing a little.

"I was wrong. I did you wrong by not listening to you. I was way out of line and I hurt you. You should be mad at me. I deserve your anger," I spoke to her, and she looked at me.

"You've nearly died twice now. No matter what you said to me last night, I can't be angry at you," she said softly. "I'm just happy you're still alive, and that my idiocy didn't get you killed."

"You didn't know what he could do," I said reassuringly, but before neither of us could continue, Ryder stepped out, stretching his body, looking tired as hell.

"So, an Alpha?" he said, peering down at me. I got the feeling he wasn't entirely happy with the information.

"Is it... bad?" I asked cautiously.

"Only if you have a Beta spirit," Thisalee chuckled, winking at Ryder. "It gets on their nerves..."

"It's not getting on my nerves," Ryder said and snorted at her.

"I'm sorry. I didn't ask for it," I said and stood up to face Ryder. "I don't want it."

"Well you're stuck with it now," he said grumpily.

"Ryder is too used to being the highest ranking around here," Thisalee explained.

"I'm not!"

"You can still be. I don't mind," I tried to say, but he growled at me.

"Everybody can feel your spirit now," he said with a scoff and walked down the steps. "But I'm not going to be your Beta, that's for sure."

"So... there's more of you?" I asked. "I mean, more of... us?"

"Not that many," Thisalee said. "Only a couple of families. I think there's like twenty of us around here."

"And how does it work? How do you... work? Like wolves?"

Thisalee laughed and stood up to give me a hug. "There's so much to tell you. And so many things to show you."

"Like what?" I asked, looking around the yard, but all I could see was the forest.

"We live close by like normal humans, but this is where we come every time we need some privacy," Thisalee told me. "Most of our kind lives in big groups – packs, as we like to call them – but we chose to live with humans."

"And he is the highest rank?" I asked, pointing at Ryder, who discreetly moved behind a big spruce to relieve himself.

"Yes."