53. Blue Moon

-Oliver-

-Oliver-

I couldn't move for a while. I just stared at the staircase in front of me, struggling to let Rayleigh's words sink in.

His friend... was my father?

"Ollie?" Jaden muttered my name quietly, placing his hand on my back. "I'm so sorry..."

"No... At least I know now..." I breathed out and tried to get a hold of myself before turning to look at Rayleigh. "Are you sure, that... Kevin was my..." I trailed off since I wasn't ready to say that word out loud.

"I knew the second I saw you," he said gently. "You look exactly like Kevin when he was your age."

"So... Attwood," Tilly spoke, and I turned to look at her. She was looking at Arch with a smile on her face.

Arch gave me a smirk, and bowed his head at me. "The deck is complete."

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"Abner," Arch said, pointing at Jaden, before he turned to look at Tilly. "Ackley."

"Archer," Tilly pointed at him.

"Attwood," Jaden smiled down at me, holding me close with one arm.

"Four Aces," Arch said, holding up four fingers.

"Oh God... Now there's four of them... The pack will be thrilled..." Rayleigh muttered, but when I looked at him, he had a sad gleam in his eyes when he looked back at me. "I'm sorry, Oliver. It breaks my heart knowing that you were supposed to live with us this entire time. If I had known Kevin had a son, I would have given you a home. Thankfully, the Moon Goddess saw the error in the picture and brought you back to us."

I was on the verge of tears when he stopped talking. "I wasn't your responsibility," I said, telling him the same thing I told Jaden, but Rayleigh shook his head.

"You were. You are. Kevin was my best friend, I considered him my brother," he said, placing his big hand on my shoulder. "You are one of us, a guardian of the Blue Moon. The guardian of the Blue Moon to be precise."

"What?" everyone asked at the same time.

Rayleigh let his gaze slide over us all, before he turned to look at the staircase. "I am Rayleigh Abner. I have brought to you the new generation of guardians. Will you accept them?"

For a short moment, I had no idea who he was talking to, but then I could feel the spirits around us getting curious. I could feel some of them coming closer. They were particularly interested in Tilly and Arch. I guess Jaden and I got an automatic pass since we were the... keys? But the spirits were lingering around the other two.

"I feel weird," Tilly muttered.

"Same," Arch nodded.

"The spirits are looking into your hearts to see if you are worthy," Rayleigh explained quietly.