22. Battle Cry

-Oliver-  

-Oliver-  

I couldn't believe what was happening. A week went by, and Jack... really left me alone. Every morning I woke up fearing that he would be waiting for me at school. Every time I arrived there I expected him to emerge out of nowhere to grab me and beat the life out of me. Every time I walked out of the classroom I was sure he would be standing outside with hate in his eyes.

But no. I was air to him. I saw him in the hallways, but he didn't pay any attention to me. I wanted to feel happy about it, but I couldn't believe he was done with me. I didn't have such luck. All I could do was try to enjoy the little freedom I had now – for as long as it would last. I had no idea what made him change his mind so suddenly, but I knew he could change it back just as fast.

That was a dreadful thought. Now that I was left alone again, I didn't want to go back to that horror and torment. I would end up dead if I didn't do anything.

It was Sunday evening, and I was helping Mrs. Bundt in the kitchen after dinner. I kept looking out of the windows, hoping I would have a visitor later. The wolf had started to come see me almost every night, and I was really looking forward to it. I had no idea why he kept coming back to me, but at this point of my mental state I really didn't care anymore. I just wanted to see him. Being close to him gave me strength and hope and I actually felt good. Not great, but good.

"Oliver?" Mrs. Bundt chuckled lightly, and I turned to look at her.

"Sorry," I muttered when I realized I was standing in front of a window with six dirty plates in my hands.

"Are you going for a walk around the forest later?" she asked, taking the plates from me.

"Y-Yeah," I nodded. I hadn't told anyone the real reason why I spent an hour in the forest every evening. It just didn't feel like a good idea to mention I had a wolf as my only friend.

"Just don't forget you have school tomorrow," she said.

"I won't," I said quietly, thinking about Jack again. I wished I could forget all about school, even for a moment.

Mrs. Bundt was silent for a moment, when she looked at me. Her expression turned a bit worried just before she spoke. "Is everything all right at school?" she asked carefully.

"Yeah," I mumbled and went to get more dishes from the table.

"Ollie... Please – talk to me."

I let out a heavy breath and stopped by the table. If Jack were to change his mind again... I would end up dead. I would get badly hurt before that. If I didn't do anything... I had to do something, because I couldn't go back to that. I didn't want to be so afraid all the time.

"There's this –" I turned around to see Mrs. Bundt, but suddenly my vision started turning black. It was like the kitchen was filled with black fog. My heart started beating faster and it almost felt like Jack was standing right behind me, laughing silently in my ear.