7. One of Them

Why was it so hard to wake up? Why was my body so heavy...? What were all those smells...?

I somehow managed to open my eyes and saw a wooden ceiling above my head. It was dark around me, and the only light in the room kept flickering so much it hurt my head. I groaned, closed my eyes, and tried to stretch a bit, but then, suddenly, the memories of me getting torn apart invaded my mind.

I jumped out of the bed with a manly scream, my heart racing in my chest. I turned around a few times in fear, but the wolves were gone. I was alone. In a room I didn't recognize. But the fear wasn't letting go of me. Then I heard footsteps coming my way in a hurry, and I turned to stare at the door, ready for anything.

Somehow, I knew who it was before the door flung open. I could smell her long before she'd reached the door.

"Rayleigh!" Thisalee rushed into the room but came to a halt when she saw me. "You're awake," she breathed out in surprise.

"Am I not supposed to be?" I asked. The fear finally faded, but confusion took its place. "Where am I? How did I...?" I turned to look at my shoulder. My bare shoulder. My very much intact shoulder. "What the hell is going on?"

"I can explain," she said in a tone that immediately told me she was bearing a lot of regrets. "Please, sit down. You're not fully healed yet."

"Healed?" I muttered. I still stared at my shoulder. "What the hell is going on, Thise?"

"I can explain everything," she repeated, her voice filled with... fear? She looked awful when I glanced at her. Her eyes were red and puffy, her hair was a tangled mess, and her entire posture was timid.

"Are you all right?" I asked, stepping right in front of her.

She looked at me for a short moment, then shook her head and started crying. I wrapped my arms around her. I could feel her pain in my soul.

"I'm so sorry..." she muttered against my chest. "I'm so sorry... This was never supposed to happen..."

I wanted to ask her what she was talking about, but my first instinct was to calm her down. She was shaken, and even though I was confused as hell, comforting her was more important than explanations at that moment.

"Everything is fine now," I muttered in her ear, but she shook her head. "Baby... Everything is all right."

"No, it's not! He tried to kill you!"

"Who?" I asked stupidly.

"Graham!"

It honestly took me a good moment to remember Pretty Boy had an actual name. Graham.

"What...?" I breathed out, pushing her arms-length away from me. "What are you talking about?"

"Don't you remember?" she asked, looking up at me with teary eyes.

"Remember what...?"

The wolves emerged in my head, and I could almost feel the pain they'd caused... I was suddenly drenched in cold sweat, and I had to sit back down on the edge of the bed. "I was... attacked by wolves... And he..."

No, no, no... he couldn't have been there, right? Or... did he send the wolves after me? He had a van, yes... but... something was wrong. My mind refused to reveal the rest of the memories to me. I peered at Thisalee when she sat next to me. She didn't look at me. She was staring at her hands.

"I should've told you something a long time ago," she practically whispered. "Now it's too late..."

"What are you talking about?" I asked.