43. Savior

-Jack- 

-Jack- 

If they thought I had given up, they were wrong.

I could barely stay conscious. The snowy ground under my feet kept disappearing. I hardly recognized my surroundings, even though the smells around me were familiar. I was home, deep in our territory, but in my hazy state of mind I couldn't tell the landmarks apart.

But there was still fight in me. I wasn't done yet.

"You keep messing things up!" Henry spoke angrily and I'm sure he continued talking, but I wasn't listening anymore. I needed all my strength to keep myself from falling into consciousness. Soon, we arrived at an abandoned factory by a frozen river. Home.

I had called that place home for the past ten years, ever since our small, defeated pack arrived at this God-forsaken town. We once were a mighty clan, but things happened. Enemies happened. Now... Now there were only thirty of us. Nine out of those thirty were born here.

The factory was covered in snow. Parts of it had given in to nature long before we moved in, but we managed to build a home inside the crumbling walls.

How I hated my fate. My mother was long gone. Ten years to be exact. Our home was ripped from us. Our friends and families dead. We were left with nothing but this collapsing factory that once belonged to humans.

Life at the mercy of Blue Moons... Black Thorns were once feared fighters... and now we were nothing but a laughing stock... dependent on the goodwill of a bunch of lap dogs who had never had to fight for a meal.

How I hated Jaden. He knew nothing about life. He acted like he owned the world. He and his little friends. The only reason he and his pack could live a peaceful life was the fact that they lived here, where no one would even want to claim a territory.

Where the land belonged to the Spirit Walkers.

The outer wall of the factory was suddenly right in front of me, and a second later, the walls shielded me from the freezing wind. I was slowly regaining my strength as we walked deeper into the building, passing two guards sitting next to a small fire that didn't make the big room any warmer.

It got a bit warmer after a while, especially when we got to the living quarters that were located in the middle of the factory. There were big, square columns on the walls, wider than I was tall, and between them, we had built our tiny homes with wooden planks, tarps and even cardboard boxes. Just to get some privacy from the other pack members.

No one paid any attention to us. All I could see on their faces was defeat. I could still remember how full of life this pack once was. Back in our old home. Ever since the enemy pack murdered our people and drove us off our lands, defeat was all and everything I could see around me.

Until...

"I need to speak with the Alpha," Henry spoke, and I forced myself out of my memories to see that we were, indeed, at my father's door. The room used to be some kind of an office right at the end of the inner part of the factory, and my father had claimed it for himself.