29. Alpha

-Oliver-

-Oliver-

I thought I'd be terrified when I approached the Blue Moons, but when I got closer to them, they didn't seem so scary anymore. On the contrary, they actually seemed friendly. I had no idea why people were so scared of them. Maybe it was because they had a bad reputation and mysterious aura surrounding them, but to me, they looked like normal kids. Well, in a breathtakingly gorgeous kind of way. I could've sworn they weren't humans. They were too flawless.

My heart was beating fast when I gave them the chocolate bars and hurried away. I knew a bunch of people were staring at me when I did that. I hated the attention, but... I had to thank them.

For whatever reason, Jaden had come for my aid and scared Nick away. I had no idea why, but it hadn't been a coincidence that he stopped right behind me. I just knew it. For that, I had to thank them. Even Tilly and Arch, because they were there too.

My good mood lasted almost the entire day. I didn't see Nick anywhere, and Jack just didn't seem to even remember me. I was finally left alone. Well, almost. I did see people staring at me a few times, whispering something behind their hands, and I had a bad feeling about it. Some of them even moved away from me as I walked through the hallways.

I had the feeling it had something to do with me giving chocolate to the Blue Moon members in the crowded lunch hall.

When it was almost eight in the evening, my good mood was fading away. I was alone in the living room, while the caretakers were helping the other kids go to bed. I just sat on the couch, looking out of the window. It was snowing quietly.

Wolfie wasn't coming.

I sighed and pulled my blanket tighter around my shoulders and pulled my knees against my chest. I had been waiting for him a few hours already, but he wasn't coming. I wasn't sure why I knew that. Maybe it was because last night, when I told him goodbye, he seemed sad. Or, maybe it was because he was my imaginary friend, therefore I knew exactly what was going on with him.

Or maybe he just... didn't want to see me anymore...

No. I shook my head. Wolfie was sad last night, when I asked if he'd come today. He knew he wasn't able to come today. That was why I wasn't letting myself drown in sadness. He would come again some other day. He probably had a family to take care of. Wolves were pack animals after all.

A thought occurred to me. Maybe the two wolves were part of his pack? I rested my chin on the backrest and smiled a little, trying to guess what kind of family Wolfie had. Maybe one day I could meet them.

If I did get to meet them, I wished they were just as cute and cuddly as Wolfie himself was.