25. Babysitter

-Oliver-  

-Oliver-  

I was having a pretty good day at school. Well, at least it wasn't horrible day. In the morning I had decided to pretend I was normal, and not utterly crazy. I guess it worked. I wasn't seeing things or hearing things and if I did, I ignored it. Thinking about all the weird things that had happened lately was only making me crazier and I was tired of it.

So, everything was going pretty well. There was just this one thing... I felt like someone was following me. Maybe I was just being paranoid, but I had to fight with myself so I wouldn't keep looking over my shoulder every two seconds. I feared it was Jack, but at the same time... I knew it wasn't him. I knew Jack's aura painfully well and the one following me was definitely not him. This one was almost familiar to me. Well, it would've been if I was a crazy person who thought someone was following him.

After that, everything went pretty well again. Until...

I was waiting for my last class to start. I was sitting away from others, watching two guys fooling around further down the corridor. I ignored the feeling that someone was watching me. I only had to get through this one class, and I was good to go home. Just one more class and I'd make it through the day.

And then Nick spotted me. First, I thought he wouldn't do anything since our teacher would come open the door any second now, but all of a sudden, I knew I was in danger. I didn't stay to find out if I was right or not. I heard footsteps coming after me when I hurried away from the classroom. I kept my head down and accidentally ran into someone after walking around the corner, but I didn't stay to see who it was. I was so sure Nick was right behind me.

I didn't stop until I was absolutely sure I was alone. When I stopped to look around, I saw no one in the hallway. I felt horrible. My good day didn't last until the end after all. I wanted so badly to have one, normal day for once. A day without incidents. One day without having to be afraid. One day without being reminded I was going mad.

The floor was cold and wet from melted snow, but I sat down anyway. I pulled the hood of my jacket over my head, trying to hide from the world under it. My heart was still racing, and I did my best to calm down and keep the old memories out of my head. The first few moments were the worst, but then, all of a sudden, I started feeling better. Warmer. Like I didn't have to worry about anything.

Now that was nice. I didn't even bother to wonder why I was feeling like that. I just embraced it. I stayed still for a while, staring at the wall in front of me, enjoying the silence. I could hear muffled voices all around me, coming from classrooms, but the hallways were empty. My poor nerves really needed that break.

I took a deep breath and leaned my head against the wall. I felt bad for skipping the last class, but no one seemed too interested in me skipping classes so... yeah... why bother then? Although, I had the feeling I would get in trouble at the orphanage soon if I kept doing it. I turned to look at a corner that was close by. Mrs. Bundt knew I was having a hard time at school, so maybe they didn't want to confront me about skipping classes just yet? That corner seemed to have seen its better days as well – it was missing some paint and there were small holes here and there. Mrs. Bundt would definitely talk to me about my poor grades at some... point...