44. Sickness

-Jaden-

-Jaden-

So apparently, the problem was that a born werewolf couldn't be a Walker. Only two Walkers or a Walker and a human could have a Walker child. Jack was a born werewolf, so...

"We don't have any idea who's controlling the shadows," Mrs. Bundt sighed over the phone. She was speaking with her husband, who was on his way back home now. With the other Spirit Walkers.

I started to feel a bit too uncomfortable.

Once she ended the call, I stood up, wrapping my arms over my chest. "What would a Shadow Walker want from us?" I asked. "Our pack is new and poor and unimportant to everyone else. All we have is our lands and each other. So why is there a Shadow Walker interested in us? Why is he using Thorns to get to us?"

"You have a lot of questions I can't answer," she breathed out. "We have a council, you see. We have our own laws and rulers, and I'm just a... a..." she trailed of, looking a bit stressed. "I'm just an underpaid security guard," she finally said with a humorless laugh.

"What does that mean?" Oliver asked with a curious voice.

Mrs. Bundt smiled at him, and sat down on her chair. "My husband and I volunteered to stay here when everyone else left. There always must be a Spirit Walker in our sacred land, and since we wanted to stay close to you, we agreed to stay."

"Why did the rest leave?" Oliver asked.

"There's nothing here, really," she said quietly. "Our ranks are growing thin, and there's not enough of us to protect our lands. I'm guessing there's only ten thousand of us left around the whole world. Most of us are needed elsewhere, and there hasn't been a Shadow Walker here in... in almost twenty years, I think. We really don't have anything significant here, except... well..."

"Except the damn thing you refuse to tell us about," I muttered in annoyance.

"Yes," she smiled. "You could ask your father about it. I can't talk about it, but he can. It's your birthright to know, but I'm afraid your parents also have the right to choose when to tell you about it."

That was not the answer I wanted, but now that I thought about it, I had the feeling she literally couldn't talk about it, just like Oliver couldn't tell us about Jack.

I turned to look at Oliver, who was already looking at me. He had a confused expression on his face – he had looked like that the entire day – but he was taking everything really well. I still couldn't believe Jack had told him to follow us. I hadn't even noticed it! And I really was going to break Jack's arms for even going near Oliver.

"So... what do the Shadow Walkers usually want?" Oliver asked, turning to look at Mrs. Bundt.

"Power. And they definitely want our lands. Spirits like to gather around where we live, and Shadow Walkers want them. Just like Shadow Walkers used to be Spirit Walkers, the shadows used to be spirits. The good ones can't be turned into shadows, but there's a lot of bad spirits out there, wanting the eternal life the Shadow Walkers promise to give them."