6. Different Path

Before I knew it, we became officially a couple. At least to me, it sounded very official when Thisalee introduced me to her friends as her boyfriend. I probably gave the worst first impression since I was internally screaming in happiness, hence unable to form intellect sentences. Or sentences in general.

The next thing I knew, my friend group of four had expanded to seven when Thisalee and her friends, Aurora and Darcy, started tagging along wherever we went. The guys didn't mind since the girls were fun and witty people. They were already friends with Ryder – no surprise there – so integrating our two groups happened smoothly.

And it felt right. I had no idea how to describe it. As the days passed and we became great friends, I couldn't shake the feeling that this was how things should be. The seven of us. I hadn't even realized something had been missing, not until Thisalee stepped into my life. I honestly couldn't even imagine a life without her. The three of them brought so many fun things into our lives that the difference felt like night and day. I didn't know about the others, but I felt like I was finally complete.

Everything was simple. Perfect.

Until it was not.

We all had found bowling as one of our favorite pastime activities, so one night we decided to go out and have fun after yet another stressful week of exams was over. We had a blast and stayed until closing time, and when we were ushered out, none of us wanted to go home yet. We just walked around for an hour as a big, noisy, happy group.

"Thisalee!!"

I groaned in frustration when I recognized Pretty Boy's voice. The good mood took a hit. None of us were happy to see that douchebag walking toward us with a few buddies trailing behind.

"Let's just keep walking," Thisalee muttered, and we turned left in hopes of avoiding Pretty Boy.

But no. The asshole followed us, yelling after Thisalee.

"Leave me alone!" Thisalee finally replied, turning around to face the guy who had caught up with us. "I don't want to have anything to do with you anymore!"

"You heard her," said Ryder as he stepped in front of Pretty Boy and pushed him back when he tried to get around him. "You better get the fuck out of here," he added in a more demanding voice, but the guy didn't take the hint.

"You belong with me, Thisalee! Not with a lamb like him!" Pretty Boy screeched, his face red.

"Why do you keep calling me that?" I asked, stepping next to Ryder. "Is that supposed to be an insult?"

"You need to leave her alone! You're not worthy of being her mate!" Pretty Boy yelled at my face, and I could smell the booze in his breath.

"Mate?" I repeated with a chuckle, but I couldn't continue since Ryder was getting angrier by the second.

"Watch it," he growled at him, forcing him to take another step back. "You better get the fuck out of here, or else..."

"Or else what?" Pretty Boy asked but started retreating and turned to look at Thisalee. "You will be mine!"

"Oh my goddess, just take the hint already!" Aurora said angrily. "She doesn't even care about you!"

"Just leave," Thisalee said, turned around, and continued marching.

Ryder and I waited until Pretty Boy and his henchmen turned around and finally took off after swearing I'd get what's coming for me. Once he was out of view, we followed the rest of our group.

"He's persistent," I said and sighed when I caught up with Thisalee.

"He's a jerk..." she muttered back.