10. Mate

-Jaden-

-Jaden-

That Friday was just another average day of my life. Yes. Yes, it was.

It was too early in the morning, when I heard the dull beeping of our alarm-clock. I let out a low growl, and pushed my nose deeper under my own tail. Tilly muttered something with the same, annoyed growl, but I could feel Arch lifting his head up, and I heard him sniffing the air. That damned early bird...

I growled again and opened my eyes. The worst part of staying in our own little cabin was the fact that we had to wake up at five in the morning if we wanted to make it to school on time. Last night, we spent a couple of hours outside, roaming around in our wolf forms, and we had ended up falling asleep in our tiny bedroom without turning back to humans. We had our little nest made of pillows and blankets in the corner of the room, where we often slept as a big pile of fur, keeping each other warm.

Arch turned his attention to us, and poked me with his nose. I snapped my teeth at him, but he wasn't having it. All of a sudden, I had big, dark-brown wolf on top of me, flashing his impressive teeth at me. I was pinned on my side and I tried to get him off me. A couple of times our fangs clashed against each other's as our little battle continued, and we both kept growling and snorting at each other.

Tilly let out an annoyed groan and stood up when we took all the space on the bed, stretching her white figure while getting out of our way. I was still caught in the skirmish with my best friend, but now that I had more room to move, I finally managed to slip away from Arch's reach, and got up on my feet as well. Then, I ran.

"Oh, for crying out loud!" Tilly, now as human, cursed at me, when I nearly knocked her over on my way out. I could feel Arch following me, when I jumped against the front door, swinging it open. "I'll make breakfast, so you'd better be back in fifteen!" Tilly yelled after us.

This time we only ran a couple of laps around the cabin, before we finally called a truce. I was still too sleepy to run any further.

Just another normal morning.

The drive to school was pretty much me drooling all over Tilly's car in my sleep leaning against the window on my side. Once we got there, I was rudely awakened by being let fall out of the car, when Arch opened my door.

Just another normal drive to school.

The first period went by slowly, like the minutes had somehow become three times longer than they should be. I, of course, didn't do my homework, so I kept receiving ugly glares from our teacher. I assumed I was going to meet Mr. Hanson again, her stare was that bad.

Just another normal day in class.

And yet, I knew. I knew from the moment I woke up. Hell, I think I knew when I was still asleep that night. Something wasn't normal. Something was off. Something about this day was different.