11. Failure

-Oliver-

-Oliver-

What was it? That moment... when our eyes met... How did I feel so calm and yet... he seemed afraid of me? Like a wild animal, ready to flee if I even flinched. For some reason, when he stopped to stare at me, looking so wary and timid, I wanted to touch him, and show him that I wanted no harm.

"Oh, hell no...!"

Then he laughed, but he was far from amused. I didn't understand why he kept saying no, because it looked like he was speaking to me, like I had said or asked something stupid. I could see something in his eyes, something I couldn't quite put my finger on. But he was anxious, that I knew in my heart... somehow...

Before Jaden turned his back on me, he seemed angry. His friends followed him towards the exit, and I couldn't stop myself from taking a couple of steps after them. I wanted to follow him. It had nothing to do with Jack or the job I was supposed to do for him. I just... wanted to follow him. Wherever he was going.

I shook my head and stopped, looking at the floor. It was easier to think when I didn't see him.

What was it? What was it all about? I could have tried to make myself believe it was just a weird stroke or I was hallucinating due to getting hit in the head a few times, but Jaden had reacted at the same moment as I had. I'd felt his presence and his aura in so many different levels... It was nothing I had ever felt before. So... was it possible... he had felt something similar?

That thought followed me throughout the day. Sometimes I stopped to wonder why I wasn't freaking out, but I was still too calm to freak out. All I had to do was think about his green eyes and I suddenly didn't care about anything. That should have freaked me out, but I just... didn't.

I didn't see Jaden anymore during the rest of the day. That was really bad. I was supposed to meet Jack after school, and now I had absolutely nothing to tell him. For a moment, I thought about running and hiding, but I knew things would only get worse for me if I tried to avoid seeing him.

So, when the last class was dismissed, I took my stuff, put on my winter coat and started heading towards the parking lot. Every step I took was slow and forced. I was afraid. I knew I would get hurt now, but I still walked towards my doom. Somehow, I managed to keep myself together, and too soon, I arrived at the parking lot.

Jack wasn't there yet, so I waited. I wanted to laugh at my own pitiful self for obediently awaiting him, even though I knew I would only get hurt. I wanted to start crying for not being able to do anything about it. I was too small, too weak and too scared to do anything.

"So... I take it you failed."

I stopped breathing when I heard Jack's mean voice behind me. I couldn't move my body at all. My vision turned blurry since the tears were finally coming down on my face.