23. Promise

-Jaden-

-Jaden-

Oliver got scared again. Why? He was right here in his home! We made sure he got to the orphanage after school without anyone bothering him, and I couldn't smell anything weird on him when he came out, so I assumed he had stayed indoors the entire time. And yet, he got scared again.

I thought things were all right for him at the orphanage. He only got scared at school. Maybe his bully called him? Or maybe there's someone in that building that was horrible to him as well. But that didn't make much sense. The few times I had seen him going home he always hurried his steps, like he couldn't wait to get there.

Great. Now I had to stay and see what was going on in here as well. I hoped that whatever just happened to him, it didn't have anything to do with the orphanage, since the poor kid had enough to deal with at school already.

"Am I crazy?" he asked quietly with a weak voice. "I'm seeing things and hearing things and then there's... there's..."

He trailed off when his anxiety was kicking in. He hid his face behind his hands and tried to take deep breaths to stay calm. It was happening again! Right in front of me! Someone was scaring him, but there was no one around? Maybe I was going mad as well since I could almost feel someone right behind him. Someone really bad.

I almost panicked. I stood up, ready to protect him, but there was no one near us! What the hell was going on? My fur was standing up, my instincts were going crazy and Oliver was getting even more scared, and I couldn't do anything about it! It was only after he wrapped his arms around my neck and squeezed me tightly when he started calming down. The danger was gone, whatever it was.

Was he crazy? There weren't that many beings that could turn invisible, and even then, they would leave sounds and I should be able to smell them at least, but there was nothing. No smells, no sounds, nothing. Maybe he really was hallucinating, and I could feel what he was feeling through our bond.

"Oliver!"

Both Oliver and I jumped when we heard a woman's voice. I retreated behind the tall bushes they had in their yard, and peered at Oliver behind the branches. He stood up and turned to face the person who was calling for him.

"There you are! I was so worried!" The woman hurried to him. "Why are you outside in this weather without a jacket on?"

"I'm sorry, Mrs. Bundt..." Oliver muttered.

She stopped right in front of him, and made sure he was all right. Then, she spotted my pawprints. I felt a bit restless, but the lady didn't say anything about it when she turned to look at Oliver again.

"Let's get back inside or you'll catch a cold," she said, and started leading him back indoors.

Oliver turned to look at me for a brief moment and waved his hand. I felt so sorry for him. He looked so lonely. He was lonely. And confused and afraid. There was nothing I could do about it. Everything would be so much worse for him if he knew werewolves existed.