64. Goddess

-Oliver-

-Oliver-

"Is it true?" Rayleigh asked when he and his mate stepped into Arch's room.

The Alpha stared at his son with sadness and excitement dancing across his face. Jaden stood up from the bed he and I had been sitting on, taking a few steps to stand in front of his parents.

"It is true," his mother breathed out.

Rayleigh smiled like only a proud father could, pulling Jaden into a tight hug.

"That's my boy," he whispered. "Your true spirit is waking up..."

"But how?" Jaden asked quietly, hugging his father tightly. "How can I become an Alpha when you're still alive?"

"Alpha's spirit wakes up in the time of need. When the old Alpha dies, or when the pack is in danger," Rayleigh spoke with a suffocated voice, pushing Jaden back so he could take a better look at him. "Lady Moon is giving us the bullets we desperately need."

Jaden's mom snatched her son from her mate and hugged him just as tightly. "I knew this would happen. My baby is all grown up now," she whispered, then stepped away and her happy expression turned into a scowl. "I don't like it – throw it away."

Jaden laughed at her words. "I don't think I can throw my spirit away, Mom."

"But you're my baby!" she gasped and hugged him again. "You weren't supposed to grow up yet!"

"Weren't that exactly what you guys wanted though? For me to become an Alpha?"

"I changed my mind," Thisalee muttered against his shoulder.

"Well, a bit too late for that, I suppose," Jaden chuckled.

"Moon Goddess is planning something," Aurora spoke next to Jack's bed. "Even though it does happen, it's still rare to have the next in line become an Alpha while the old one is still alive."

"She's watching our back," Rayleigh said. "This is the first good news I've had in two days..."

"I heard what you said," Jaden said, pushing his mother gently off him. "The whole town is infested with shadows, and Anthony isn't the only Shadow Walker we're up against."

Rayleigh let out the longest sigh I had ever heard, rubbing his unshaven chin. "We still haven't seen any of them, but we were forced to call back our scouts because of the shadows. There are way too many shadows for a single Shadow Walker to command."

"But if the town is infested..." I muttered, feeling my stomach turning upside down, "What about the kids at the orphanage?"

"Natalie made arrangements to relocate them as soon as we found out about the infestation," Rayleigh said. "They are safe."

"Thank Goodness..." I breathed out. "Where are Natalie and the others now?"

"They're building wards and other protections all around the territory with half of my guardians – they should be back soon," Rayleigh said.