Chapter four

Chapter four

By the time evening had arrived, Matthew was already on his way home from the local petrol garage with 4 bags full of what looked like multipacks of beer and long black wine bottles as I sat out on the balcony watching him return. He had changed into a dark blue ironed dress shirt and black jeans with his hair neatly combed back, he was a sight to see. "Hey Katherine, are you wearing that tonight?" Matthew asked, climbing over the small balcony. I looked down, my blue shorts still on. Maybe I should change. "No, I'm going to change in a moment."

"Cool, maybe straighten your hair? I have a pair of straighteners you can use." I nodded at that, thinking I should try it. It has been months since I bothered with straightening my naturally wavy hair. Walking inside, Matthew placed the beers inside the fridge as I left for the bedroom, opening my handbag and pulling out the clothes. Mainly leggings and oversized shirts. I picked out my only pair of black slit jeans and an oversized light blue hoodie to somewhat secretly match Matthew. Using the Kohl eyeliner, I traced it around my green eyes with mascara and gently placed mauve lipstick on – just to look a little better. As I came out, Matthew stood beside the door – straighteners in hand. "I'll do your hair." Oh. "Sure." I turned around, feeling his fingertips gently trace my hair as the heat radiated near my scalp.

It was silent as Matthew focused intently on making my hair as flat as possible, slightly becoming hard to breathe at the closeness of our bodies and the heat radiating off the plastic. "What time are your friends coming?" I asked – hoping enough conversation would hit off. "Around 8.pm, just a few of the guys. That's all." I felt nervous. I'm incredibly anti-social and the worst thing for me is house parties. I breathed in, slowly letting it back out as I felt my hands shake. Matthew quickly finished up as the clock read 07:48 pm, ten more minutes. Maybe a beer would help? I decided to wait until the first friend came to ask for one, standing in the kitchen I watched Matthew potter around. "Need help with anything?"

"Nah, I'm just getting snacks. Thanks." I nodded, walking into the hallway and back into his room. My nerves acting up as I straightened out my hoodie, feeling my lips dry, I gently placed some Vaseline on hoping my previous lipstick wouldn't come off.

Three knocks echoed through the flat – his friends are here. "Coming!" Matthew shouted, walking briskly through the hallway, opening the door. "You alright? Come on in." The first was a short, slim guy – wearing a white wife-beater with blue baggy jeans. The next, bearded and mousy blonde straight hair; he seems fun. A multi-coloured button shirt looked nice on his lanky frame, a cowboy hat in his left hand with a bottle of Ale in the other. Lastly, a tall, muscular frame awkwardly shuffled through the door – buzz-cut black hair, wearing tan pants and a grey shirt. With flip-flops. Huh.

"Who's this?" Muscular guy asked Matthew, a finger pointed in my direction. "Oh. This is Katherine, a friend of mine. Katherine this is Oliver, Chris- " Ah, Chris was the slim guy. – "And Abe." I nodded, a meek "hi" stuttered out as I looked at the floor – my fluffy socks played with one another.

"Go into the front room, I'll get the drinks." The other three nodded, a little too eagerly as they bounded inside. "I got the Ale!" Abe shouted; he was a giddy kind of man by the looks of it. I stood in the doorway of Matthews bedroom, awkwardly thinking of what to do. A few minutes passed as Matthew came back out of the kitchen "Katherine, what are you doing? Go sit in the front room." He waited, four beers – two held in each hand. I walked through, eyes to the floor as I scanned their feet – the sofa was taken up, so was the footstool which left me – the floor.

Taking a seat, Matthew sat on the floor next to me – my loved-up mind more than happy to be near him as he handed me a beer. I took it, desperate to ease my anxiety, I gulped as much as my mouth could handle. The bitter sweet taste twisted around my tongue so quickly I forgot to savor it; although the smell was foul – reminding me of cow dung and liquorice mixed together.

Within minutes the games started. A beer jug sat in the middle, cards to each player as they all spoke in riddles – the game I didn't understand; but looking at Matthew, with how he smiled with a familiar look upon his face – I felt like the luckiest girl alive. It felt like forever by the time the first round ended, Abe joined Matthew and I on the floor as we watched Chris pick up the jug – during the game, if a player loses, they had to pour some of their drink in the jug; Chris, being the round loser had to down the entire jug. We all sat eagerly watching him, the liquid was brown in color from the beer and ale, a combination that would surely hurt your insides. Matthew made me jump as he started to chant – the others joined in quickly. "Get it down you, Zoo-loo Warrior!" They repeated this until Chris almost vomited it back up. The pint size jug now empty as they restarted the game. I wondered briefly how Chris was able to stay conscious after that. I sat and watched, mouthing my second bottle. I caught Abe looking at me with a smile, turning to Matthew and nodding his head. Does Abe approve of me? Matthew turned to me then, squeezing my hand gently before letting go. I was utterly confused but paid no mind as the night continued.

A few hours had passed as the boys decided to go into town. My nerves subsided hours ago as I made conversation with Abe on the way there. He was really kind, and easy to talk to as he told me about his girlfriend, Hannah. They were a lot like me – Hannah sounded awesome as Abe told me about her love for Japanese fashion, Abe on the other hand loved a movie I knew and adored. The boys were miles ahead as Abe and I ran to catch them up, my blue hoodie keeping me warm as I looked to Matthew – he had changed his clothes again, the same jeans however he had a red checkered shirt on. I felt a little disheartened when he changed – we no longer matched. I shook my head looking down at my bare legs – Matthew had told me it would be a good idea if I changed again – thanking myself for packing one dress I liked. It was a black skater dress with roses on the side, however my blue hoodie covered most of it.

"What club are we going to?" Chris asked Matthew. "What about Pear?" Pear? Why does that sound familiar? They all nodded in agreement, their excited faces bounding off one another. Saturday evening didn't make a difference as the club had a long line outside. Many women in short skirts and men in tight shirts. Matthew stood next to me, smiling for a moment before he spoke to his friends. I was freezing as we reached the top of the line, a man checking IDs - Shit, did I bring mine? I quickly looked through my purse – secretly worshiping the heavens as I found my provisional license. That should be alright. "Katherine, come on." Matthew called – I feel like I'm about to hate this as the smell of spirits hit my nose.

I'm going to vomit.