Chapter thirty-five

Chapter thirty-five

The next six weeks I was on eggshells. Manya was recovering well and back to her normal self - if anything, she had become more vocal and I felt so blessed hearing her mews and purrs. I had paid Matthew back 200 euros, him paying the vet 100 euros monthly as her bill was 990 euros and 76 cents. My work hours had almost doubled and life felt great.

It was when late June arrived that Matthews' and I marriage started to fall apart at the seams. Lately his name calling had become worse, now he spoke to me as if I was an object - my pay-cheque was no longer my right to use and the way I was and how I look always had room for improvement. I felt exhausted with the constant reminder from him. My workplace became my escape from him and I dreaded having to leave.

A small part of me became desperate to leave him and go back to my mum's house. We had arranged to go to Amys' place for a few drinks and a takeaway, knowing there would be other people there I hadn't met yet. Matthew was busy getting ready as I did the same, straightening my hair and throwing on some black jeans and a blue jumper. I didn't fancy dressing up, more so just wanting to stay home and sleep.

"Kat, you ready?" Matthew called from downstairs, already grabbing his wallet and keys. "Yeah, coming." I called back, closing the bedroom door and walking down the stairs, placing my platforms on and switching the front room light on.

"Why have you switched the fucking light on for?" I wanted to roll my eyes at his attitude. "Because of Manya. I'm leaving it on for her."

"She's a fucking cat! She doesn't need to have the light on." He sneered. "Matthew, I'm leaving it on or I'm not coming."

"You're so fucking annoying. Just close the door and hurry up." Doing as I was told, I followed suit. Ignoring his moans and complaints along the way.

When we arrived the takeaways had already been delivered. Pizza and garlic bread to noodles and desserts laced their basement floor ready to be eaten. My stomach groaned painfully at the sight. I forgot to eat lunch today. Taking a seat on the floor, I watched as Matthew took a slice of pizza and quickly guzzled it down and reached for another. I did the same, savoring the smell of the BBQ chicken feast with cheese filled crusts. I took a bite, ignoring the new guests selfishly - I was so hungry.

The night passed quickly as more guests arrived. First was another couple, Sara and Nathan then Dave, Billy, Harry and another couple, Greg and Kate. They were a mixed lot, Sara and Nathan were the responsible type while Greg and Kate seemed to be the more PDA in love type. Billy was tall and cocky whereas Harry was short with a spitfire attitude.

My first impression of Sara was that we wouldn't get along; she had blonde hair with blue eyes and a curvy figure, her personality was one from the educated side of the world. Intelligent and sophisticated. Nathan on the other hand reminded me of a boy, still in his teenage years but with a gentleman's respect for his woman. Greg and Kate were so in love, their eyes never straying too far from one another and they had to be touching every second - it was sweet, innocent, a longing type of love that screamed intimacy. Kate had ash brown hair with a thick German accent - her native tongue being from here while Greg, being from Hong Kong, had jet black hair and a tanned complexion.

Both Harry and Billy spoke to one another in the corner of the room. Harry was desperately trying to tell Billy about his car yet the taller, brown curly haired ample man spoke about his love for the local brothels. I watched as Harry scratched the back of his shaved head, his small freckles dusted his face gently as he groaned, frustrated with Billy. I laughed internally. I know how that feels. I looked to my husband, himself leaning against the make-shift bar, hazel eyes intently staring back. He scared me at times.

"Kat, we're all going into town. Are you coming?" Matthew asked with Port stained lips. I nodded, "sure." It didn't take long for them to arrange two taxis as we all bounded in, our first stop being the local nightclub, Melon.

I already want to go home.