Chapter sixty-eight

Chapter sixty-eight

I knew something was about to happen when the murky hazel eyes of my husband didn't leave my body for a few minutes. Matthew was staring intently, calculating every move I made as I walked to the kitchen, taking out my tobacco and rolling a cigarette. It was like stepping on eggshells when I walked past him and out the back door, closing it softly behind me. I breathed out, looking through the gap in the curtains as I lit the white stick, inhaling.

I watched as Matthew stood from his chair and walked to my tobacco, rolling himself a cigarette. He's coming out here. I held the lighter tightly in the palm of my hand when the door opened, his tall six foot frame now blocking the entrance.

"Give me a lighter." I handed it over. I took my mobile from my pocket, quickly pressing the record button as I placed it inside my green hoodie.

"You ain't getting shit." The tone of his voice was demonic and grave as I looked at him. "What?" I asked back, the blank stare meeting my own.

"I said, you ain't getting shit from me." He spoke again, drunkenly swaying.

"I don't want anything from you Matthew. I just want to go home."

He scoffed, "I don't give a shit what you want, I ain't taking you home."

It's going to be a long night. "You said. I'll find another way home." I replied, bracing myself against the brick wall. Matthew was an unpredictable drunk at times, both terrifying and loving.

"You really think you can leave me? No one will want you, not even your own family does." he continued "My own family has to deal with your shit, you left me for no fucking reason and now you're doing it again."

"You know why I'm leaving you, Matthew." I interrupted, hating his tone. "Even your mum had told you off for the way you spoke to me last week."

"She doesn't know shit. I hate them. They were the ones who kept me alive and I fucking hate them. I. Hate. You." He spat out, inches from my face. "You're like a fucking ghost." Matthew muttered, throwing his cigarette at me as he walked inside, slamming the door in my face.

At least he didn't lock me out this time. I sighed, placing my hand over my chest, breathing in and out to control the palpitations. Finishing my cigarette, I walked inside and poured myself some juice in the kitchen. My mobile was still recording when Matthew spoke again, a dial tone coming from his mobile.

"Frankie wants to talk to you." I pinched the bridge of my nose when I heard his sister's voice.

"Hello? Matthew?" Her northern accent came through. "Yeah it's me, you're on loudspeaker. Kat's here."

"OK, what's going on Matthew?" She asked as he shrugged. "Kat wants to go home, she's leaving me again."

"What? Is Kat there?"

"I'm here." I replied to her. "Kat, what's going on, what is he talking about?"

Why does he have to always get everyone involved? "Yes, I want to go home. Matthew said he would take me last week but now he won't because I want a divorce."

"Why do you want a divorce? Wait, mum, hang on, I'm asking her." Willow is there as well? I shook my head. "Because your brother has treated me like shit. Called me a slag etc and has told me to kill myself multiple times. Not to mention the cheating on me or even him beating the shit out of me. You know he slapped me the other day?" I questioned, annoyed with Matthew's fake persona towards his family.

I'm done with hiding his lies!