Chapter fifty-nine

Chapter fifty-nine

"I told you, I'll get people to kill him." I wanted to scream as Matthews' voice echoed down the phone. It was late September when he had rang up at three am on a Sunday, demanding I speak with him. Gerald had shook me awake, myself only arriving at his home a few hours previously, to let me know of the incoming call. I nodded, going downstairs when it rang a second time.

I answered the call once I had gotten downstairs, Gabe was fast asleep on the gray two-seater sofa. "What Matthew? It's past three am." I spoke annoyed down the phone.

"Have you left him yet?" He asked with a harsh tone. I rolled my eyes, shaking my head. "No Matthew, and I'm not going too. Leave me alone. Jesus."

"I told you what would happen if you didn't."

"Matthew, you won't do shit. Why can't you just leave me alone?" I asked desperately as he laughed in reply.

"Gerald lives down Broadview Way right?" My blood ran cold.

How?

How does he know?

"Told you babe, I have connections down there." He dominantly spoke with a smug tone. I breathed out, feeling my heart violently beat against my ribs.

"Why are you doing this?" I questioned quietly. I knew he was drunk by the slurring of his words. "No one could love you like I do Kat, you know that."

I scoffed. "You're going to kill me Matthew. I know you."

"I'd never hurt you sweetie, just the people that get in the way, that's all."

"I don't have a choice, do I?" I could hear the submission in my voice, accepting the defeat almost instantly.

"Don't say it like that, this is just for your own good babe. Gerald doesn't love you like I do. I'll be down this weekend, we can go out for a meal."

The tears fell silently as I sat beside Gabe, his fur tickled my bare leg.

Shit.

"Sure. I'll see you this weekend, I'm going to bed." I ended the call, my body heavy with my newest burden.

How the fuck am I going to tell Gerald? Do I tell him?

I rubbed my temple with my index finger, the tension headache forming quickly.

Fuck Matthew.

I stayed awake until Gerald came downstairs, he rubbed his eyes as he smiled at me. "Morning babe, you're up early. Did you sleep OK?"

Did I fuc- "Yeah, I slept alright. Just woke up early today for some reason." I stifled a yawn, smiling back. "I'll make breakfast." Gerald spoke, wrapping the blue dressing gown around his waist that I had brought him a while ago. "I'll make cigarettes."

My head pounded with every inhale of my cigarette, I ignored it, not wanting Gerald to notice. He sat beside me, smoking his own while he went through business plans on his laptop.

"How's the plans coming along?" I asked, fidgeting with the silence.

"It's going well, I just need to get the layouts done then send them over to a few companies." I nodded, intrigued. "Hopefully you'll hear back from a few of them, get the business off the ground."

"That's the plan. What do you want to do today?" He asked, placing the laptop on his coffee table.

I want to run away with you. "Actually, I was thinking of going back home. Mum wants me to help her with the finance paperwork, the tax man is really drilling her for everything this year." I laughed, lying through my teeth.

"Oh, well I can't come with you as I have work tomorrow. But, if you want I can come down on Friday? When did you want to start heading back?" This will be the last time I see you.

"I'll probably leave in about twenty minutes." I replied, not mentioning Friday. He nodded, agreeing to walk me to the station.

I feel sick.

I felt the vibration of my phone as Gerald walked back to the kitchen, unlocking the screen I saw the message.

From: Matthew

I'll see you soon sweetie, I love you my lemon pie xxxxxxx

I'm going to die, aren't I?