Chapter fifty-eight

Chapter fifty-eight

"Happy 21st birthday Katherine!" My mother called as I entered the dining room, balloons scattered across the floor with big gold twenty-one balloons hung from the ceiling. I smiled. Gerald sat beside the table, blue eyes intently staring at my own.

"Happy birthday babe." he spoke softly.

I didn't think I'd be here for my 21st.

"Thank you. I like the tablecloths." I noted, seeing the cloth covered in animals. I laughed at the childish decorations, secretly adoring the time and effort my mother had put into my birthday.

"Do you have any plans for today then?" She asked, facing both Gerald and I. Just as I was about to shrug my shoulders, Gerald spoke. "Yes, I'm taking Kat to the cinema and then the noodle place. We'll come back and go for drinks after, you're more than welcome to join if you want?"

"No, you both enjoy yourselves." We nodded, spending a few minutes with her then heading upstairs to get ready.

"The present I brought you hasn't turned up yet, but for now, I'll give you another present." I felt his hands slowly cup my hips, teasing me as they traveled to my breasts. His breath traced the dip between my shoulder and neck, goosebumps quickly replacing the pathway his fingertips made. I sucked a breath in, biting down on my lip.

"There, now get ready. We need to go."

Huh...?

It wasn't long before we arrived back home, it being near ten pm as we dropped our bags off. I had treated myself to a wishbone style ring with silver diamonds, wearing it on my wedding finger. I had oddly missed the way a ring felt, the indent of my previous rings more pronounced.

"Kat, let's go." I nodded, following Gerald out of the house and down the road. I was glad for the short walk, the air was stuffy with the upcoming summer weather. Gerald held my hand, rubbing small circles upon my skin in a loving touch.

"What do you want to drink?" I thought for a moment. I still feel scared to drink but, when I'm with Gerald - I should be OK.

I hope so, anyhow.

"The usual I guess." He nodded as we entered the small legion, speaking to the elderly man behind the counter, ordering our drinks. I sat in our usual spot by the door, straightening out my skirt. The local band that consisted of three elderly men, played every old song I could think of as Gerald returned, my cider in his hand. "Here."

"Thank you, they're actually pretty good." I gestured towards the band, Gerald nodding in agreement. "That they are. Happy birthday, Kat." He raised his glass as I did the same, clinking one another's in a celebratory gesture.

"Bottoms up."

Taking a few sips, I sighed looking around. There were many elderly people here, all waiting to play bingo and cards. I smiled, loving the calmer atmosphere.

"They're doing a raffle again, we should buy some tickets. I'll be right back." Gerald spoke, excusing himself from the small table as he walked over to the owner, buying two pages of tickets, returning to the table.

"Here, you can have this page." I bit my lip, taking the pink paper with three columns of numbers. "Are you sure? I can give you some money."

Gerald shook his head, taking a sip from his beer. "No, count it as a birthday present."

"Thank you." Gah, he's so nice! Over time I was becoming more and more in love with Gerald, his dusty blonde hair and crooked teeth were starting to grow on me. I shook my head again, guilt started to eat away at my bones.

I have a feeling,

...

this is about to end.

"Get ready for the raffle everyone! We'll start playing in two minutes!" A man spoke from behind the bar, earning a cheer from the crowd. I looked at Gerald, his smile warming my beating heart. "Cigarette, my lady?"

"Definitely." I shivered at the cooling August air, wishing I had brought a coat as Gerald wrapped his arm around my waist. "I'm proud of you."

What?

"Huh? Oh, why?" I asked, confused with his statement. He shrugged, inhaling the smoke, blowing it out a few moments later as I did the same. "You've gone from barely being able to leave your bedroom, to now being able to walk to the shop on your own."

"That's not really anything to be proud of. The shop is around the corner, and I still need to be on the phone to you or mum." I spoke truthfully, hating my insecure self.

"Yes, but, you're still going. You're stronger than you think Kat."

Stronger than I think? Don't make me laugh, if I was - I wouldn't be this pathetic.

We were silent for a few moments, both enjoying the company when the owner gave the warning for the raffle tickets. "Let's go." I nodded, following Gerald back inside, my eyes planted to the floor in heaviness. My mind was haywire with Matthew's words repeating over and over again. I really don't want to leave Gerald.

"First number is the lovely 223!"

Would Matthew actually hurt Gerald?

"Second number is the dreaded 666!"

Probably, if he could hurt a cat, what's stopping him from hurting Gerald?

"Third number is 745!" I looked at Gerald, his blue eyes intently concentrating on his raffle tickets.

Am I stupid for loving you?

"And for the meat and veg basket, number 156!"

Am I stupid for believing in love?

"Number 156? Who was 156?" I blinked, looking at my tickets. "I have it." I spoke quietly to Gerald, his eyes connecting with my own.

I can't let Matthew hurt him.

I swallowed the lump in my throat as Gerald smiled, facing the owner.

I have to leave him.

"We have it! Kat, you won!"

But I lost you.