Chapter twenty

Chapter twenty

I did what Matthew asked of me, I sat there and spoke to his friends so I didn't understand why after a couple of beers he was back to ignoring me. One of his friends – we called him Woodley, was easier to get along with as we spoke back and forth about anything and everything. He was slightly shorter than me but with his personality you never really saw the height difference. Woodley was the cheeky type, full of energy and fun to be around – he spoke softly with his Welsh accent, slow enough for me to understand whereas Miller, his other friend, seemed more reserved – understandably enough. Miller had black short hair, one dimple on his left cheek and bright blue eyes, a heart-stopper really. I had yet to hear him speak, we just nodded at one another while we waited for Matthew to come back inside the room – him and Miller both spending the past twenty minutes outside smoking.

I felt slightly tipsy by the time we left the house – I decided to dress up even more, wearing my black, tight dress with platform boots and a long gray jacket. I looked pretty, well, I thought I did until Matthew looked at me with annoyance. I looked at Woodley, him sharing the same disappointed look with comfort. Woodley had told me he was irritated with Matthews' behavior, knowing we both love one another. As we walked, Woodley stayed beside me; even on the bus when Matthew and Miller wandered together, sitting at the front. I felt like my heart was being crushed each time Matthew looked through me; never at me, at that point I wasn't important enough for him to acknowledge my existence.

Woodley became such a gentleman as we stood outside the club, lining up together, both smoking a cigarette. I was a laughing mess as we reached the front, Woodley, also called Mark, was non-stop with corny jokes and over-exaggerated hand movements. I was grateful for him, knowing if he wasn't here it would be a different story. Heading inside, I felt the warmth first. Many bodies grind against one another as the music pounded my ears, Mark brought me to the bar buying us both spirits and a shot each. My eyes scanned the floor for Matthew as relief hit me seeing him at the bar, brown eyes piercing at my green ones with such hatred I almost choked at the intensity. Fuck him. I'll make him want me. Determination forced my body to move, focusing on a random males figure. Look at where my eyesights went Matthew, your attitude is boring me now. Like a charm, the beast of a man followed my line of sight, obviously jealous. Looking back at me I stared at him, a small smirk played at my mauve coloured lips. Gotcha.

A couple hours passed when Mark and I sat outside, both covered in sweat from dancing with one another welcoming the cool November air as we smoked. Miller came outside, beckoning Mark over as he excused himself – I watched as Marks' face changed from a smile to a frown to then pure annoyance. What is going on? Mark looked at me, a small smile as he tapped Millers' shoulder following him inside. I sat there, confused yet again. Slightly irritated myself, I decided to wait outside for a moment then walked back inside – seeing a scene that should have made me run.

Matthew was dancing, his front against another girls' bottom rubbing against one another – his hand, one that once held me, was around her waist pulling her closer. The feeling of my heart becoming heavy with sadness was something I couldn't quite process as I watched him, the tears fell almost instantly. I know I was standing in the middle of a crowd crying yet at that point all I could see was him. Seconds passed as I heard Mark's voice shouting to Miller, snapping myself out of the pained trance as I looked for him. Mark stood, his brown eyes looking at me then following my eyesight only to fall back on me with a pained look. He shook his head as I did mine, offering a small smile to him in reassurance. I honestly wanted the sticky floor to pull me under at that moment.

Miller, I saw, walked up to Matthew speaking in the drunk man's ear gesturing his head in my direction. Matthew looked at me as I did him, his arm dropping from the female's waist as he started to walk from the stage. I shook my head once again, silently telling this man I love to stay away as I headed for the back door, deciding on another smoke and to finish my new double spirit Mark had just handed me. Mark thankfully beckoned Matthew away, then followed me outside, lighting us both a cigarette from his pack of twenty. I wiped my eyes, looking at him.