Chapter sixty-three

Chapter sixty-three

I was glad when he left. Two days were enough for me to need a break as the following Friday came, a surprise visitor knocking at the door. My mother called me from downstairs, waking me in the process. I shouted back, agreeing to come down. Quickly throwing some clothes on, I walked to the bathroom, brushing my teeth and washing my face.

"Kate!" I rolled my eyes. "Two minutes, I'm just brushing my teeth!" I called back, aggravated with her nagging so early. I checked the time on my mobile, eyes widening at the realization. It was midday already.

"Kat!"

I cocked my head. That wasn't mum's voice. My heart sped up.

"Hurry up." That was..

I ran out of the bathroom and downstairs, missing a few steps as I reached the bottom. I knew the voice when I saw the tall figure, the dull blue eyes staring back.

"Gerald?" I asked as he nodded. "We need to talk, Kat. Your mum told me."

"Told you what, exactly?" Don't take him back, you can't. Matthew will kill him! He sat on the dining chair, gesturing for me to do so as well. I rolled a cigarette, lighting it as I looked at him.

I miss you.

"Why are you here anyway?"

I still wear your green hoodie and that Halloween shirt you love so much.

"I'm with Matthew now."

He rolled his eyes at the mention of Matthew, inhaling his own cigarette as he looked at me, resting his elbows on his knees. "Your mum told me he's been threatening you."

I shook my head. "No, he hasn't." I lied, regretting it when he raised his eyebrow.

Shit.

I forgot he knew me too well.

"Tell me the truth."

My shoulder dropped as I looked away, focusing on the way the ash dropped into the ashtray. "He said if I didn't leave he'd get people to hurt you."

"Why didn't you tell me?" Gerald asked, sitting back against the chair. I shrugged. "I don't want you involved with this, it's not fair."

"Kat, I'm ten years older than you. I can look after myself." I groaned, "I know! But I'm not going to let him do it, Gerald. I know Matthew, he follows through."

"You're really prepared to let us go, because of him?"

I nodded. "I have no choice."

"You do, Kat." I smiled. I really want to believe you. "Not this time."

It was quiet for a few minutes while we both finished smoking, Gerald sighed nodding.

"Alright. You're both just dating, right?" I nodded in return. "Yeah, I told him I want to just date for now."

"Good, that means I can kiss you."

Huh..? "I thought that would be considered cheating?" I asked, confused.

"No, not if you're just dating." Oh. "OK."

It felt like the first time when his lips collided with mine, gentle at first and soft as they moved slowly, parting my lips ever so slightly as his tongue made its way inside. I moaned at the intrusion, enjoying the dizziness that clouded my mind. His fingers traced through my hair, pulling gently. Our breath mingled together when we stopped, resting our foreheads on the others. His blue eyes mirrored my own; lust, love and longing.

I love you.

"We need to stop before it gets out of hand."

I want you.

"Kat, you're not making this easy."

Fuck me.

I cleared my throat, stepping back. "Sorry." My cheeks coloured a hue of pink as I bit my lip, excited and shameful by the kiss. Matthew will kill me if he finds out.

"Well, I missed that." Gerald spoke, breaking the silence as I laughed, agreeing. "Me too."

"What now?" He asked, reality slamming back down on the few moments of pleasure.

"Now"

I'm going to hate myself.

"Now we walk our separate ways."