Chapter thirty-nine

Chapter thirty-nine

After a few days, I discharged myself deciding he was right, I didn't need help - it was just a little stress. I arrived home late afternoon, Matthew thankfully was still at work as I opened the front door, the smell of dried feces and beer hitting me like a brick. I knew it was going to be a shithole. Looks like my first thing to do was clean the house. I sighed, closing the door behind me.

"Manya?" I called out, hearing her little mew a moment later. I had missed the white furball as she ran to my legs, rubbing her head against my trouser leg. "I missed you too." Dropping my bag, I scooped her up into my arms, her big blue eyes looking at me as her back paw reached my chin in an attempt to stop me from kissing her face. It didn't work. She hated it.

Walking into the front room felt like I was walking into a hoarders home. Plates, bowls, used tissue, cups and mugs littered the floor with dirty clothes and socks thrown on the sofas. Placing Manya back down, I rolled up my sleeves and opened the back door. Time to clean up this mess.

Starting in the kitchen I almost gagged at the state of the sink - dried baked beans, ketchup, cheese and what I hoped was Port stained the worktop while more plates and saucepans created an overflow in the sink. Did he use all of the stuff and never washed up? Fucking hell, this is disgusting!

Oh god, I wonder what Manyas' tray and bowl is like.

After 45 minutes, the kitchen was finally spotless with the first load of washing circling in the machine. I rolled my eyes as I saw the front room again, I would have to hoover and polish everywhere. Opening the bin bag, I began picking up the chlorine smelling tissues of the floor, desperately trying not to gag at the concrete like texture.

Once done, I moved to the table and chairs. Manyas' tray and bowl sat opposite as my mouth dropped in shock. Did he not clean her bowl or empty the tray? Oh this is revolting! The tray was overflowing with urine and feces, her food had flies and a thick white coating of mold. I was angry. The house can be dirty that's fine, but this, leaving a poor cat like this is fucking horrid! Quickly, I piled both the food and used litter in the bin bag, tying a knot and throwing it in the garden - I need to clean this before anything else.

Wiping the sweat of my brow, I nodded - satisfied with the outcome downstairs. A candle was lit to help rid the smell and Manya was busy lying on the concrete slab in the garden, soaking up the sunlight. I dreaded checking upstairs as I walked slowly, finding used clothing on every three steps leading to the bathroom. Throwing them into a pile on the landing, I started in the bedroom, opening the curtains and window, stripping the bed sheets. The dressing table was full of random wrappers and more tissue as I bagged them up, polishing after to rid the marks.

The spare room didn't take long as I decided to leave most of the cleaning to him, only removing the dirty dishes and the twenty five bottles of beer behind his black leather chair. The bathroom had to be the worst as I opened the door - toothpaste and hair stuck in and around the sink, the shower almost black at the bottom with dirt and the toilet - Did he never flush? Oh god I need to be sick.

Six pm came quickly by the time I had finished, needing a shower myself as the front door opened. My heart raced with nerves and fear, my hands quickly clammed up. I'm not ready yet.

"Kat?" I heard Matthew call. "Yeah, I'm upstairs." I managed to squeak out, taking deep breaths as I composed myself, wiping the hair from my face.

"Why are you back?" I swallowed, walking down the stairs and into the front room. Himself sat on the sofa, bag left at the front door as he undressed to his boxers, placing his clothes on the floor. "I discharged myself. Plus, I missed Manya."

"Alright." Matthew replied, his eyes occupied with the T.V. I stood awkwardly, my fingers playing with one another. "Uh, I'm going to have a shower. I'll make dinner when I come down." He nodded again, my shoulders dropped. Was I not even worth a look any more?