Chapter thirty-four

Chapter thirty-four

Two weeks had passed and my new job was going great, I had met my supervisor and the chef, both being as common as myself - it was a good thing really, I struggled to even speak let alone having to act somewhat educated and I finally made Matthew happy. He was less stressed and in turn, he wasn't drinking as much. I decided to surprise him with something else, something that I hoped would somewhat help him.

Something that would mainly help me, too.

I had missed the small pitter-patter of toe beans and the small purrs of a cat. That was how I ended up with a small and timid white fluff-ball in our lounge. I had never seen a cat with such white fur before as I watched our new family member sniff around the front room. Her blue eyes darted my way every time I moved, knowingly I sat as still as I could, pretending as if I didn't want to just lay flat on the floor and smother the sweet thing with love. Matthew was due home within the hour and I so desperately needed to put dinner on yet my body refused to move when Manya, a white Burmese with the bluest and brightest eyes I have ever seen - much like Tristans', jumped up on the sofa beside me, smelling my clothed elbow. It was seconds later when I felt the head bump of approval - I wanted to leap up with joy and shout every proud sentence I could think of when she suddenly laid on my lap. Quickly and stealthy I picked up my mobile, snapping picture after picture - she's so blooming cute!

It wasn't long after that Matthew arrived home, his bag heavy with dirty washing for me to put on. His face was sullen as he entered the front door and his posture deflated with a hard day's work.

"Hi Matthew, how was work?" He grunted in response as I patted down my jumper. Manya had taken refuge under a pile of pillows on the sofa as Matthew sat down opposite, oblivious to the fluff ball. I smiled, placing my hand upon his left shoulder. "I have a surprise for you, well, for us." I spoke softly as his eyebrow raised and brown eyes looked up at me.

"What's that then?" I can't wait! I walked towards Manya, picking up one of the many pillows and standing out of the way. "I got a cat, her name's Manya."

"Oh my.. Hello." I watched as Matthew slowly made his way to her, kneeling beside the sofa and placing his finger near her nose as she woke. "She's so cute. She's ours? When did you get her?"

"Yep, she's ours. The owner dropped her off an hour ago, she was free - unfortunately for him, his two other cats didn't like Manya very much." He's so gentle with her!

"That's good she's free, we can't afford to pay for a cat. How old is she? She looks young." "Six, not too old." He nodded, scratching her head as she yawned. "That's good. I love her already."

I knew getting a cat was a good idea! He's so happy! I am too, finally we feel like a real family. I knew Matthew struggled with the recent news of him being infertile - I was fine with it, I preferred cats anyway.

By the end of March, I had transferred to a local store - one a five minute walk from where we live and met a few colleagues. Although I did miss my old work place, the commute was proving more expensive than the wages covered themselves. It was nice at my new workplace, I had met many people; Ellie was a tall, slim Gothic type woman whom I slightly have a crush on and Jake is this robusk and amazing man - his long hair and beard was definitely impressive and he taught me how to make roses out of blu-tac. Next was Richard, he was a lot like Jake but with a shorter beard and brown hair - his smile was so contagious. Billie was our supervisor, an older guy who acted as if we were his children.

I couldn't forget one customer, Cameron - we had so much in common and he knew Matthew too. It was strange at how quickly I settled in with them, my anxiety no longer present and I for once, felt excitement for going into a workplace.

It was then, two weeks before payday, that Matthews' uncaring nature began to show. I had noticed Manya was struggling with the litter tray, her urine was small and her stool stopped coming for two days - I began to panic. After speaking with Matthew, he refused to drive me to the local vets, he didn't want to have to pay for a cats' health as he rushed out the door to work - I was stuck, I knew she needed treatment but I couldn't walk an hour with her in a crate to the local vets. Checking my remaining bank balance, I didn't even have enough for bus fare. I groaned frustrated as Manya sat beside me, I had to call my mum. After a few rings, she answered.

"Hi mum, I need a favor." I felt so guilty having to ask her as she sighed.

"What's up? I'm about to go out." She spoke, her voice similar to my own.

"I really need to take Manya to the vets, but I haven't got enough for a taxi. Could I borrow £20 until later please?" I asked, desperate. "Why isn't Matthew taking you?" It was my turn to sigh.

"He doesn't want to take her, I did ask but, you know how he is." Mum knew about Matthews' behavior, her being my only sanity on the days he drove me around the bend.

"He's an idiot. What's wrong with her?"

"She hasn't pooped in a couple of days and she's barely urinating. Poor thing hasn't eaten much either so I really need to get her seen." I could hear her tapping away as she replied. "Well of course she needs to see a vet. Something is obviously wrong with her. Matthew needs to grow up and take her to the vets. I've sent you the money."

"Thanks mum, I know he does but he just, he won't. I've tried asking and it'll be an argument later on. I'm going to book a taxi now and take her while he's at work."

Once I had ended the call, I booked the taxi. Quickly getting both Manya and myself ready as the driver arrived ten minutes later. As we arrived at the local vets, I paid the driver and walked inside the white building, a woman with dark chestnut hair and blue eyes smiled, speaking her native tongue.

"Hallo, wie kann ich Ihnen helfen?"

Shit, how do I say it again? I bit my lip as my mind rushed.

"Uh, Sprichst du Englisch?"

"Yes, I speak English. Can we help?" Her accent was strong as she spoke. I felt so relieved. "Yes, my cat. She hasn't used the bathroom in two days and barely eats or drinks." The woman nodded as she took more details, asking me to take a seat while she took Manya into one of the many rooms.

"The vet is uh, look at her now and will tell you if she's OK or not." I nodded. "Thank you so much." As I waited, my fingers itched with nerves as I tapped on my mobile, sending Matthew a message with the update. I knew he would be angry but I couldn't just leave her like that. It didn't take long for him to reply, annoyed at me but accepting it; agreeing to drive here after he finished work.

"Manya?"I looked up at the voice, an elderly woman stood straight in a white cloak looking at me expectantly. "Yes, that's me."

"She is being sent for an X-RAY. We believe she may have stones in her bladder - if she does, she will need emergency surgery." A lump formed in my throat as I nodded, blinking away the new tears that had found their way in my eyes.

"Th-that's fine. whatever she needs." Once the vet had left, I stood outside, calling Matthew. He answered quickly.

"Kat, I'm at work-" I cut him off. "She needs surgery, Matthew. I don't know how much it'll cost but however much it is - please can I borrow it and I'll pay it all back in a couple weeks." I swallowed the nerves, he groaned, annoyed.

"For fuck sake. Yeah, whatever. I'm on my way now, send me the address." He cut the line as I did so, looking inside as the vet waved me in.

"Hello, yes. We looked at the X-RAY and there is a significant amount of blockage. She needs emergency surgery, it's good you brought her in now, she wouldn't have made it through the night otherwise."

I cried.

I'm such a bad cat mum.