Chapter sixty-nine

Chapter sixty-nine

"Matthew, is what she's saying true?" The man in question looked at me with hatred. "No it's not."

I laughed. "You told me you'd tell your family the truth, Matthew. Did you not tell them what happened in Germany? Where you beat me up and strangled my fucking cat?" I was seething with rage. He had lied again, he didn't tell them!

Asshole!

"She's lying. I didn't do any of that."

"Then why is she saying it?" his sister questioned. "I don't know, she's fucking crazy Frankie."

"I'm crazy?" I asked, annoyed. "Frankie, I have all the screenshots and recordings of your brother. I'll send them to you."

Matthew was quick with switching off the loudspeaker, placing his mobile to his ear. I rolled another cigarette as George tiredly walked in, wagging his tail. I instantly calmed down seeing him, walking back into the front room, I locked him inside, not wanting Matthew to be near them. I ignored his stare as I grabbed my coat, wrapping it around myself as I headed outside. I rubbed my temples, thinking of how I would leave when my mobile pinged with a message. Switching the recording off, I looked at the message.

From: Willow

Kat please don't goad Matthew whilst he's drinking let him sleep it off, this is breaking me, he's my son and I love him, and I don't want him ding things like headbutting the door etc and getting more agitated, I've offered to come now and pick him up but he won't leave you.

I was goading him? I laughed at the message, was she blaming me for his behaviour? Another message came through.

From: Willow

I can take you back home or I can give you the money to get back home. I'm sorry this is happening Kat, I love Matthew but he's not ready to be in a marriage. He's like his father.

Another came through almost instantly

From: Willow

How do I delete messages?

I sighed, replying back.

To: Willow

Hi Willow, I'm glad you understand why I can't be with Matthew any more. You're right, he's not ready and he needs serious help. That would be brilliant if you could, I'm more than happy to pay for your trouble. To delete the messages, press on them until they vibrate - there will be an option to delete them. Press delete.

I sent the message, opening the door and walking back inside. It had started raining heavily as I shivered from the winter weather. Matthew sat at the table, his head buried in his hands as I walked past him, grabbing my glass from the worktop.

"This is all your fault." He muttered under his breath. "You're just a ghost in this house. Hurry up and fucking leave. As soon as you came here you've wandered around like a ghost, I'll be glad when you finally fuck off."

"Me too, Matthew. Me too."

"Mum has just texted me. She's not taking you home, Frankie's husband is, he'll be here in the morning. Once again my family has to bail you out because your family doesn't care enough."

Taking a deep breath, I turned to look at the man. "My family cares about me Matthew, don't you dare say they don't."

He laughed, drinking a glass of spirit. "Don't make me laugh, Kat." I ignored him, taking out the bin bags and grabbing my belongings from under the stairs. "What are you doing?"

"I'm packing my bags." Thankfully there isn't much to pack. I spoke, packing the blankets on the sofa and the decorations away. "Well, I paid for them. You're not using those bin bags." Matthew spoke, snatching them away like a child with their toy. "OK, I'll get different ones."

I carried on packing as Matthew returned to his computer, it was way past two am when I had finished, leaving the non-important stuff for the bin.

Matthew had gone to bed by five am as I sat on the sofa, tired yet restless. I plumped up the small pillow as Manya laid beside me. Yawning, I set my alarm for eight am, wishing time would arrive quickly.

By the time I had woken up, Matthew was already sitting at the bottom of the stairs as I walked into the kitchen. His eyes darkened with the lack of sleep.

"You're really leaving me?" I heard his sullen voice behind me, I nodded, not bothering to turn around. "Yes Matthew, I'm leaving you."

"You can't leave me Kat, please. I love you and you love me. I might as well die if I can't have you." I thought for a moment, dropping my shoulders as I turned to face him. Tears streamed down his pink cheeks as his bottom lip quivered.

I opened my mouth, speaking from the heart as I looked at the man I once worshiped.

"I don't love you, I never have."