Chapter sixty

Chapter sixty

"Tell me truthfully Kat, why are you breaking up with me?" Gerald's hoarse voice sounded through the speaker of my phone as I cupped my mouth, shushing my hiccups. I swallowed, thinking of a lie.

"I just don't want to be in a relationship with you. I want to be with Matthew." I almost gagged at the lie, composing myself.

"You're going back to him?" I pinched myself, ignoring the pain in his voice. Matthew was already on his way here, I didn't have long left.

"Yeah, sorry. It was nice while it lasted. I have to go now." I switched off the call, breathing heavily. I couldn't stop the tears as I collapsed onto my bedroom floor, my chest aching and hands trembling with fear. I knew I had to snap out of it.

It's better this way. I reminded myself. Matthew won't touch him.

I could hear Manya mewing from behind the bedroom door, wanting to be let inside as I unlocked it. She ran in, jumping on the bed. I looked at the white fluff-ball, regret instantly eating my bones as her blue eyes met my own.

I'm so sorry, Manya.

I don't have a choice any more.

My body relaxed at the realization. I'm no longer mine. The numbness spread throughout every cell and vein I had, my eyes drooped with the heaviness.

I'm owned.

My phone buzzed with an incoming call, it was Matthew.

"Hey babe!" He spoke when I answered. "I'm on my way, I'll be about an hour so get ready, we're going out to dinner!"

My heart dropped.

I've made my bed, it's time to lay in it.

"I'll start getting ready" I wiped the tears from my face, standing straight. "Good! I'll see you in an hour, my sexy lemon pie!" The phone line cut off as I threw it on the bed, Manya mewed at the noise.

I was part of his game, I either play along, or I lose my team.

.

..

...I've already lost my pieces.

I quickly had a cold shower, using the cold water as a punishment for my regretful decisions as I shaved every part of my body, and washed my hair thoroughly. I knew I didn't have long to get ready as I looked at the time. Already 17:52 pm, I have another twenty minutes before he arrives. I dried my body, placing on a thong, black high-waisted jeans and a tight turtle-neck tucking it inside the jeans. I felt uncomfortable as I placed the liquid foundation on my skin, rubbing it in hatefully then drawing the wings of my black eyeliner, filling them in and placing mauve lipstick on.

I didn't recognise myself.

This was hell, he is hell.

I waited fearfully at the window of my bedroom, dreading the upcoming event. A black Mazda parked outside with tinted windows. I held my breath.

He's here.