Chapter thirty

Chapter thirty

It took a week until we could move into our new home - a sickness bug had infected most of our wedding guests and Matthew himself. It took five days for him to be able to stand from the bed without feeling dizzy - thankfully, somehow, I was completely fine.

It was four am on a Saturday when we started to pack his small red car with my belongings and five am when we left. Matthew had his music playing with a black can of energy drink next to him while I had a bottle of water and a hot water bottle placed upon my stomach. The sun was starting to rise as we left my home town, my old life dispersing into a small memory as I looked at my husband. This beautiful, God-like man was mine; and we were about to start our own memory together.

I smiled looking out the tinted window, catching glimpses of early workers heading to their own destinations. I knew it would be hours until we reached our new home, but I fought against my tired self, desperate to not let Matthew have no company.

"You never talk." he huffed "Every time we're in the car, you're just silent. It's annoying." I bit my lip at his harsh tone, reminding myself he was probably just tired.

"Sorry, I'll try to talk more."

"No, you'll be quiet all the way there. Just go to sleep, I'll just listen to the music instead. Although it would be nice to actually have a conversation with my wife." He must be really tired for being this bitchy.

"What do you want to talk about?" I asked in a soft tone as I looked at him, his eyes were bloodshot with the lack of sleep. I wish I had my license so he could sleep while I drove.

"I don't know Kat, anything."

"Well, I can't wait to get to our new home. I wonder what it's like up there, I think the farthest I've been is Cornwall." He rubbed his left temple at my response.

I've pissed him off again.

"Yeah, you told me. Germany isn't that bad, the place we're going to is nice. Amy and Andrew are around the corner and there's a few shops you can start working in."

I nodded, agreeing with the work part. "I do need a job."

"Yeah you do, sooner the better."

I attempted to stay awake for the rest of the ride, taking pictures of the scenery every hour while Matthew shook his head at my interest. Our conversation was short and simple, him preferring to listen to the music than myself. I couldn't blame him, I was rubbish at talking. It wasn't long before we reached the tunnel, parking the car and both using the public restroom while we passed through the channel. We had another two hours left when my eyes closed, too tired to stay awake.

Germany being an hour ahead, we arrived at two pm, Matthew shouting my name to wake me as I jumped from the shock, breathing deeply while I opened the door and unfasten my seatbelt. It was chilly when I looked at our new home.

It was huge!

A tall middle terraced two bedroom house, the walls were painted a deep yellow with a small front garden and a pure white door. Three bins stood outside, ready for our arrival. Wait, three bins?

"Why do we have three bins?"

"One is for general waste, another is plastic and cans - the green is for the garden." Matthew answered, walking to the front door with the keys and unlocking it. "Come on, then."

I stretched, picking up my handbag and following him up our driveway into the front door. Opposite the front door was an entrance to the front dining room, with big windows and a door in the middle, giving access to our back garden. Looking left, brown carpeted stairs lead upstairs while on my right a kitchen with black, red and white tiles.

"It's massive here! Matthew, the tiles are the same as our wedding colors! I love it." My excitement was more than evident as I walked inside the front room, old-fashioned sofa and chairs were already inside, same with a wooden table and two blue chairs opposite me. I was glad the house was already fully-furnished, it would cost a fortune to buy everything straight away.

"Yeah, well, go get your stuff from the car. We need to unpack and I want to pop around to Amy and Andrews' later."

Oh, already?

I nodded, knowing better than to question him right now.

It took a while for me to bring all of my belongings inside, although there wasn't as much as I had thought. Picking up my black suitcase, I carried it up the curved stairs leading to the master room, the doors heavy against the carpet as I pushed it open.

oh

my

god-

"It's huge! Do we have built-in wardrobes? We do!" I stood looking around the room, in the center was a wooden double bed, each side with our own cabinet, just opposite was a light wooden dressing table and chair with a tall mirror just behind the door. Big chest of draws sat beside the window, ready to be filled.

It was beautiful here.

Once I unpacked my clothing and accessories, I walked past the second bedroom, knowing it would be Matthews' gaming room and straight into our bathroom. Having both a bath and separate shower behind the door with the toilet and sink just a few steps from one another in the middle.

"You like it then?" Matthew asked, sneaking up behind me. His sunken eyes seemingly rejuvenated within the hour.

"I love it. It's big and pleasant. Thank you, Matthew." He smiled, wrapping his left arm around me, pulling me close to his chest.

"I knew you would. We have an attic and cellar as well." My stomach churned at that. "Well, I'll leave them to you. Cellars are terrifying."

Hearing the rumble from his chest made me relax as he laughed at my comment. He was feeling better.

"Right, come on. Get dressed, we're going out tonight with Amy and Andrew. I want to take you to this restaurant on the corner, it's cheap and good."

Yes! Food!