Chapter forty-eight

Chapter forty-eight

Matthew had received a call from his boss, asking him to come in, giving me enough time to sort myself out and pack the necessities. He left at nine am when I could finally let Manya out of the spare room, her food bowl almost empty as I refilled it. She was still fast asleep under the radiator, enjoying the warmth, not knowing what was about to happen.

I had called my mum to let her know I would be coming home in the early hours of the morning, she was happy. My mind felt caught as my body moved on autopilot, stuffing the clothes, pads, toothbrush, photos and books in the suitcases. I placed my teddy bear on top, a glittery brown bear with a red nose - the last and only present I had left from my grandad. I wanted to pass the bear down through my family - if I have one. Breathing out, I decided to visit our welfare, needing help with the rest of the removals.

Yorkshire definitely had a big change in weather compared to Germany, it felt cold here all the time. Even with the small amount of sunshine, I layered up. Thankfully, the welfare was only two minutes walk away as I knocked on the door. As I entered, a young gentleman greeted me with an Australian accent.

"Can I help you?" He asked, straightening his gray tailored blazer.

"Yes, I need help with arranging removal vans. Is there a specific company I need to use?" I asked meekly, rubbing my hand on my jumper.

"If you've been posted, the unit would have already set that up-" I interrupted him. "No, I'm not in a unit. I'm leaving my husband and want to move back home. I heard the company pays for the last move."

"Ah, now I understand. We do pay for the last move. One moment, I'll need to write down a few details." I waited, standing by his desk as he pulled out some paper from one of the many red folders. "Take a seat, it won't take long."

"Can I take yours and your partner's name?" I nodded, "Sure. Katherine Moore and Matthew Moore."

"When are you planning on leaving and do we need to separate you from your husband to make it easier?"

"I'm leaving tonight, and if that's possible then yes, I would like it if he didn't come back to the house until after I was gone." That way I knew Manya and I would be safe, for now at least.

To my surprise, Matthew sat on the front door step as I arrived home. His expression was one of anger and desperation as he looked at me. "So you're leaving me? What the fuck did I do?"

Shit. "You've done a lot of things Matthew. You've cheated, you've beat me and even now, you're spreading rumours. to save your own arse. I'm done with you." My heart is going to explode! "Can you leave now so I can go in the house?"

"You took my fucking house key. I need to get my stuff, I have to stay in the block until you fucking leave." He stood in front of the door, blocking me from getting inside. I could smell the Port from here, he was still partly wasted.

"Fine, get your stuff then get out. Move." I bit the inside of my cheek, dreading letting him in as I opened the door. I made a beeline for Manya, making sure to lock her in the kitchen while he packed.

"You're actually leaving me?" Matthew spoke, his tone soft with regret. I sighed. "Yes, I'm leaving you."

"Kat, you know I never meant to hurt you. I said I was sorry."

I scoffed. "Sorry doesn't make up for it Matthew. Even last night, instead of getting drunk you could have just sat with me and watched T.V but you chose to get wasted and take your anger out on me. Again. I'm done. Hurry and leave."

"Whatever." I watched as he retreated upstairs, hearing the heavy footsteps. I knew he was pulling everything out of the wardrobe and drawers as he cussed under his breath. Manya scratched at the door, mewing every few seconds like she was reminding me that she was there. I felt horrid having to keep locking her away, but right now, I couldn't trust Matthew.

It wasn't long before Matthew bounded down the stairs, bags intact. "Aren't we at least going to talk about it? How are you getting back to your mums' with all your stuff? You have no money."

"I already arranged that. I'm being collected later and I'm using our last move to send my stuff back in a week's time. It's all boxed up, I've written a list for the men so they know what's mine." I hid my hands behind my back not wanting him to see how much I was shaking with fear.

"Seriously, that's it? You're just going to leave and what, never talk to me again?"

"Yeah, that's the plan. Can you leave now?" I wasn't sure how I managed to keep my tone of voice so steady as Matthew rolled his eyes, muttering under his breath as he opened the door, slamming it shut behind him. My breath came out in bursts as I ran to the front door, lifting the handle and locking it.

He was leaving. I'm about to leave.

Fuck.