Chapter fifteen

Chapter fifteen

My eyesight blurred as Tristan came in, his sweet smell filled my senses so quickly that I found myself leaning in his direction. I'm so tired. My eyes started to drop, his shoulder became the most comfortable pillow I had ever leaned against. The fibers of his gray coat tickled my cheek so lovingly I felt myself slide deeper into sleep until Tristan spoke.

"Katherine, why are you so tired? Bad night?" Shit, what do I tell him? I don't want him to think of me as something bad. "Something like that. What's been happening with you? You and Alice split up, right?" I asked back, deterring the conversation.

"We haven't broken up, just taking a breather. But I'll be honest, I feel like something's going on." The dip of pain in his voice was enough for me to feel enraged with Alice, I felt Tristan slump as I lifted my head from his shoulder to look at him. He looked so tired and defeated – He really does love her to be this heart broken. I could feel my already damaged heart pause with an unknown feeling, all I knew was that it had enough.

"What do you mean?" He sighed at my question, picking up one of my pencils and subconsciously began drawing in the corner of my canvas. I didn't mind it, he was one that needed to keep their hands busy.

"Katherine, I think Alice is cheating on me." That bitch. "Right, what makes you think that?" I asked back. I believed him but I was curious.

"She said she had to go over to her friends for the night, a female friend. She uploaded a video on her story, with her 'ex fuck buddies' dogs. His trainers were in the background." Ah, there's a high chance she is then. "Are you sure it wasn't an old video?" He nodded. "I found out she's on a dating site as well. Apparently it was an old one she had but it's an active one." Sounds familiar I thought, debating on a plan I devised in my mind.

"How badly do you want to find out?" Tristan looked at me then, his blue eyes conflicted and intrigued.

"Not badly, but I would like to know." Forever the gentleman. I nodded knowing if I did this I wouldn't be able to see Zachary tonight yet seeing Tristan in pain, knowing I could help was worth missing the world for.

I messaged Zachary to request a rain check on our plans to which he thankfully agreed. Tristan and I spent a couple more hours in the class, him creating doodles around my work – surprisingly it bonded well with my painting then we went to the cafeteria to grab a coffee and sat outside on the grass. The frost from this morning completely melted away with the sunshine as we spoke about our trips to the CD and DVD store. It was always fun with him there, especially when we were dating.

Our innocence back then consisted of heavy flirting and light touches, I would be at the CDs looking for my newest obsession while Tristan would be looking for the latest action Blu-ray. The glances we would give one another through the aisles to the light brush against my leg as he stood up beside me. I smiled at the thought, the store we loved closed down a few weeks ago due to bankruptcy, so our newest place was the park and church gardens; we could sit there forever, watching as people walked past and gently throwing grapes to the squirrels. It was fun as we would guess strangers' situations as they walked past- from being in love to despising one another. I missed this.

"Katherine, are you listening?" Tristan laughed deeply, the sound vibrating from his chest as I pulled myself away from the memories. "That I was not, sorry. What did you say?"

"Do you remember the first day we met?" I nodded "In college at the coffee shop – I ordered an iced coffee whereas you brought your protein mix." I laughed at the thought, continuing "Invite me for coffee and bring a protein shake, who does that?"

Honestly, it was my dearest memory. I was far too shy to speak more than a few words while Tristan sat there with his moody face gulping down a horrid mix. We had so many memories in such a short time.

"What about the bowling alley, we played pool?" I asked back, thinking about his eyes. "Remember I told you how your eye color changed that day? It was so strange, you bent down to line up the white ball and they went so incredibly dark."

"I remember, I think they do that when I concentrate. We need to play pool again but I do miss our cinema trips."

Jeez, I used to love those trips – a dark room being lit up by the screen, just Tristan and I. His face was always a picture when I looked at him, enjoying the movie so intently yet his hand would always be near mine.

I miss comfort.

I miss Matthew.

My posture slumped at that thought, I regretted ever speaking to Matthew at that point. I didn't want to miss him, think of him nor be reminded of anything to do with him yet that silly, desperate part of me missed him.

"Katherine, I hope you don't mind me asking. Why do you smell like alcohol?" Tristan asked, concern obvious in his tone – I didn't want him to worry so I lied. "Ah, just a family thing so we all had a few too many." He nodded as I laughed it off, feeling the guilt set into the pit of my stomach. Lying to him always felt disgustingly wrong.

"So, when do you want me to sort out Alice?" I asked, once again deterring the conversation. "Whenever you're able to do it, what are you planning?" Tristan was very cautious and over-thought most if not every situation.

"Well, it might not work but I'll probably just create a fake profile on that dating site and try speaking to her then arrange to meet with sexual intentions. If she agrees then you know where you stand." It felt wrong to trick Alice, however I was more concerned about Tristan's mental state – he had told me before about his depression, one moment he would be fine then the next he'd isolate himself. I didn't want that to happen with him.

"Hey, it'll be OK. Either way it's an answer is it not? You deserve better anyway." He nodded at that, most probably worried about the answer. "I'll do it tonight, we can video call while I do it. For now though I should be getting back, you need to do your workout anyway right?"

"Not today, it's a rest day so walking is enough." I nodded back, standing up. "Well, I'll call you later." I walked towards the bus stop, sneaking a look behind me as Tristan walked the opposite way – him looking at me too, something we always did without realizing. I waved back, I knew this would hurt him.

But in a way, it was for the best.