Chapter sixty-five

Chapter sixty-five

The car ride was more exhausting than I had hoped. George barked at most cars while Yuuri and Manya mewed recklessly; my tears didn't stop, nor did my desire to turn around and leave.

I was stuck with a man that would no doubt kill me one day.

And it was my fault,

I believed in a lie.

"Help me get this stuff out of the boot." Matthew demanded, his attitude changing from loving to hateful within the six hour journey. I nodded, feeling like a doll bending to his will as I took out a couple of suitcases, walking to our new home.

It was big, not as big as our German home but a decent size. The walls were painted a harsh yellow with a black front door. I was glad there wasn't a front garden, less moaning about who would cut the grass come summer.

"Hurry up!" He yelled, I rolled my eyes - I knew it was becoming a habit when I caught myself mid-roll. "Coming, coming." I spoke back, more so to myself when he had already walked inside the home. George barked with impatience as I shushed him.

"Give me five minutes guys, I need to get this stuff in first then you can all come in."

I placed all of the baggage from the car at the front door while Matthew neatly put them all in the space between the stairs and storage closet. George barked more, whining as I opened the door, unbelting his lead from the seatbelt. "Come on then." He bounded out, pulling my arm in excitement. I smiled, enjoying the smallest of freedom before Matthew called out.

"Kat! Hurry up!"

Hurry up my ass. Once George had finished his business, I took him inside, then came back to get both Manya and Yuuri.

Once the animals had settled in, I quickly took out the litter tray, filling it with wood pellets as Manya ran to me, mewing desperately. "I know, I know. It's nearly done." I spoke softly to her as Matthew grunted behind me. "She needs to stop using the tray, I don't want the stink of it in the house."

"Matthew, she's seven years of age. She's used the tray all of her life, I'm not just going to stop it because that's what you want." Over my dead body. "You can teach her to go outside, or put the tray outside."

I scoffed. "Outside? It's winter Matthew, it'll be snowing soon. She's not going outside, the litter tray is staying." I bit the inside of my cheek, standing straight and looking at him.

"Fine, whatever."

Play along.

"Anyway, why don't you show me around our new home?" I smiled, gritting my teeth. He nodded, walking inside the kitchen.

"Kitchen." Matthew pointed to his left, a small worktop with a few strips of wooden flooring. "Dining room." Pointing to the right, his computer sat in the corner, behind was the window and back door, leading to the back garden.

"I'll let George out in a minute and have a look." I watched as he continued, walking in through the door that connected the dining room to the front room. It was small, but cosy with an electric fireplace. The walls were the same magnolia color.

I'm really starting to hate that color.

"Oh yeah, there's a toilet by the front door. I'll show you upstairs." Following behind, my eyes trailed down Matthew's legs and sock covered feet. I remember when I used to worship the ground he walked on. Such an idiot. The stairs had a spiral layout as we reached the top, five different doors coated the walls.

I feel like Alice when she was about to pick the wrong door. I think I already chose the wrong door.

"That's just storage," he pointed to the left door, "then there's another toilet and sink." he pointed to the door ending the hallway. "That's the shower room. The other two doors-" he spoke, pointing to the right "-are the bedrooms."

"Huh. Oh, which room is our bed in? How does it look? I'm glad I paid him to deliver it in the end." I asked, going into the first bedroom where our new bed was.

"It's in good condition, I've slept in it already and it's pretty comfortable." Matthew spoke, crossing his arms behind me. "That's good."

"Yeah, I'm going to put dinner in. We need to go to the shop, have you got any money?" I shook my head at his question, lying through my teeth. "No, I don't have any left."

"Well, guess you'll just starve then." I sighed.

Welcome home, huh?