Chapter fifty-one

Chapter fifty-one

Flowers. I was shocked. This is the first time I've ever been given flowers. Well, apart from mum giving me a rose on Valentines day. Standing in front of my short self was a tall six foot man wearing skinny blue jeans, a grey blazer and white shirt. His smile brimming with interest and his blue eyes stared intently.

"Kat, right? It's nice to meet you finally." His arm wrapped around my shoulders, leaving a small gap in between us. "Nice to meet you, too." I spoke with a shy voice, Gerald already knowing of my awkward nature. He laughed, a deep rumble that erupted my insides with goosebumps. I breathed out. Shit, what was that?

"So, where's the bus station? It's my first time coming here, it's nice. I've left Gabe with a friend of mine, next time I'll bring him down if you want?" My cheeks were a hue of red and my ears burned as I nodded. "That would be nice." Gabe was Geralds' pet border collie, a sweet, well-trained dog with different coloured eyes. I had seen pictures and videos, excited to see the fluff-ball in person.

Wait, next time? I swallowed as we walked across the road, Gerald passing me the white unknown flowers. Thankfully it was a short wait for the bus, Gerald denied my money for my ticket, stating a 'man should pay for the lady'. My body froze as we sat on the blue cladded seats, his aftershave was sweet and his hand was warm when he slipped his finger through my own. I bit my lip. I really need to be careful not to moan out loud. What's happening with me? It's just his hand!

Taking a deep breath, Gerald spoke. "Would you like to go out for a meal tonight? I had a look at local restaurants, there are some nice places." Can I even trust my mouth right now? My mind is thinking of his hand tracing up my - I shook my head. "Sure, uh, we could always just go for a drink if you prefer?" I think I could use one right now.

"That could work, I'll cook us dinner instead. Your mums' home tonight right? We can stop by the shop and I'll get enough for all three of us." He's cooking for mum, too? My eyes widened, taking in this seemingly over-generous man. "You don't have too." I stuttered out. "I have some fish fingers at home, or pasta we can have."

I watched as Gerald lifted one eyebrow, my legs instinctively tightening against one another. Fuck, this man is killing me already. "You're biting your lip again." His voice was gruff with what I could only describe as lust. I bit harder. He blinked, smiling. "Naughty. I'm making you both dinner, that's final."

Shit shit shit shit shit shit! What in the hell is going on with my body? I feel all hot and desperate!

It wasn't long before we reached our stop, both still holding hands as we walked to the local shop. Gerald picked up the black basket as we entered, placing different ingredients inside. Red pepper, three steaks, mushrooms, spring onions, oil and potatoes. They're all expensive... "Do you want me to pay for anything? I feel bad with you buying so much." I asked as Gerald shook his head, his dirty-blonde hair fluffing at the top. "No, it's my treat. I'm going to buy some beers, does your mum drink?"

"No, she only drinks tea or water."

Gerald was definitely a charmer as he stood in the kitchen, speaking intently with my mother - both laughing over embarrassing stories of my growth. I sat at the dining table on the wooden chair, smoking a cigarette as I watched them both. Mum had recently split up with the asshole, meeting someone else who had already moved in. A Romanian man with a short temper - he was nice, but, at the same time, he was a man I wanted to keep my eyes on. Not because of his ethnic background, more so his possessive nature.

"I remember when Kate had her appendix taken out - here I have the video." Hell no! "Mum, don't you dare show Gerald that." She laughed.

"Go on, I want to see it." Gerald egged my mother on as I rolled my eyes. Hearing my voice echo from her mobile, myself doing an impression of Ann from Little Britain, my cheeks heated up instantly.

"Muuuuum!" I called to her as they both laughed. "That was cute, Kat." I rolled my eyes again at Gerald, burying my head in my hands as he walked towards me. "At least you made the best of the situation. I had mine taken out years ago, I have the scar." Gerald lifted his shirt, revealing a finger-length bubbled scar. What caught my attention was the black ink in the middle of his stomach.

"Is that a tattoo?" I asked, enjoying the closeness as Gerald pulled his shirt up to his chest. Pale skin wrapped tightly around his torso, showing the outline of his ribs and V line that dipped deliciously into his trousers. Wipe your mouth, you're drooling!

"Yes, it's a rubbish tattoo I had done years back. It's meant to a black panther." I raised an eyebrow. "A panther? It looks like a badly drawn tiger." I commented, tracing my index finger on top of the ink, watching as Gerald flinched from my cool touch in surprise.

"I know, I need to get it redone when I'm able to." I nodded as he sat beside me, my mother joining us at the table. "Kate has a black blob on the back of her neck."

"I do, it was meant to be a crow. But, it looks like a black blob." Agreeing, I turned around and pulled the back of my shirt away from my neck. "Damn, it really does look like a blob." "That'll teach you for getting a tattoo at sixteen." My mothers' voice sounded, as Gerald audibly gasped. "Sixteen? Naughty. I had mine done at nineteen."

"You're both ganging up on me already?" They agreed as I laughed. "Thanks, you two."

"Right, time for a beer. Maddy, cup of tea?" Gerald spoke, standing from the table. "Yes please. Kate, roll me a cigarette please."