Chapter forty-one

Chapter forty-one

"They need letting out at around ten pm and don't feed them after eight pm - they're on a strict routine." Matthew nodded at Sara as he held onto two leads. We were taking care of her dogs for the night while they visited family in Berlin. "They'll be fine, don't worry." Matthew spoke, scratching behind the taller dogs' ear. I stood on the landing, having to shut Manya inside the bedroom while they were here knowing the dogs weren't exactly friendly with cats. I wasn't sure why Matthew agreed to having them but as long as they stayed away from Manya, I was fine with it.

"Alright, we'll be back tomorrow morning for them. Thanks Matthew." I heard Nathan speak. "Anytime man." The door closed shortly after as Matthew spoke in a babyish tone to the two whippet looking dogs. They were both cute, I was just more of a cat person.

"Kat, come down here." Taking a breath in, I walked down the stairs and into the front room - both dogs already digging holes in the backyard. "The dogs are cute."

"Well, duh. Get their food ready will ya, we're going out soon." He spoke as I furrowed my brows. "But, they need to be let out at ten pm, it's only seven pm." He rolled his eyes at my point. "Yeah so? We'll just feed them early. One night won't kill them."

"OK." I picked up their bag of food, pouring the biscuits inside, attaching it to the metal bar of the crate. "I'll go get ready then. I'm keeping Manya in the bedroom tonight."

"Whatever, go have a shower. Make sure you wash your hair. Straighten it as well." I nodded, internally giving him two-fingers as I walked upstairs and into the bathroom. Looking at my reflection I could see just how tired I was, the bags under my eyes were horrendous and my chapped lips were damaged from over biting. I sighed, turning to switch the shower on. I need to put foundation and concealer on tonight then.

It didn't take long for me to get ready - the makeup took the longest disguising the tiredness as I yawned. I wore my blue jeans, a gray revealing shirt, leather jacket and platform boots - Matthew wore his checkered shirt and black jeans with black dress shoes and brown leather coat. Quickly feeding Manya, Matthew took the keys and waited outside as I grabbed my bag, checking if he was looking as I turned the front room light on - Matthew wouldn't allow me to have the lights on if we were out, but I didn't feel comfortable leaving the dogs in darkness, especially if we were going to be gone for a while. I followed him out the door, locking it behind us as we made our way to Amy and Andrews' house.

By the time we arrived in town it was near midnight, Amy had helped me match her hair by tying space-buns on either side of my head. I liked it, it was childish but fun and Matthew didn't complain about my straight hair being ruined so it was a win-win for me. The first bar we visited was a local, underground Irish pub, the next one was a nightclub with music vibrating on every wall and bright lights flashed from one end to the other.

Matthew was already quite drunk as he stood opposite me, leaning on the small side table. I stayed sober, having a late shift in ten hours as I watched my husband gulped down his Jack Daniels and coke. His smile was unnerving as he spoke in riddles, his hand waving side to side in what I could only describe as a rant. Amy and Andrew had both moved to the dance floor, dancing together in a warm embrace as the only warmth I felt was the heat that bounced off my cheek.

He just slapped me.

What the fuck?

I looked at him, frozen as I saw the darkness of his eyes and the gnarly stare he gave me. He did it again, laughing at me. I swallowed. He's way too drunk. "Matthew, don't do that. It hurts." I shouted over the music, he laughed again.

"Why don't you shut the fuck up?" I felt the sting again, I couldn't tell if it came from the third slap or the tears that began to fall.

"I'm going for a fag." I all but mumbled to myself, grabbing my bag and walking past him. I could hear his drunken steps behind me as I quickened my pace, walking upstairs and into the smoking room.

Opening the black painted door, the smell was enough to sober any drunken mind. The smoke was thick in the air and people grouped together in deep conversation. Sparking my own cigarette, I wiped my tears and sat in the corner of the room. Matthew had followed me, watching me with his dark hazel eyes - almost like he was inspecting every detail of my body. I shivered, disgusted and on edge. I want to go home.

"Give me a fag, babe." I gave him my own, rolling another. "Thanks, babe." Internally I was gagging at the overuse of the word. It was silent between us for a while. both enjoying the peace as he swayed slightly. I couldn't wait to get home as Amy sent me a text message - her and Andrew were both waiting outside for us.

"Matthew, let's go. Amy and Andrew are outside." He nodded, throwing his cigarette on the floor and stamping on it. Rolling my eyes and stamping my own out, we walked through the club and out the front doors.

"Kat! Over here." Looking to my left, Amy stood smiling. "Hey, ready to go home?" I nodded. "Definitely." Amy and I both started to walk together as Matthew and Andrew followed behind, it was minutes after we had left that I heard Matthews' voice.

"I don't care if she hears me. She's fucking council scum and so is her family. She's fat, lazy and fucking ugly. You know I have to tell the bitch to shave?" He laughed as I looked at the ground, Amy falling silent beside me as he continued. "I fucking hate her and wish I never married the slag. Be nice if she died to be honest. Her mums' got a face like a leather handbag." Andrew shushed him, doing what I could only assume as telling him off.

"Ignore him, he's had too much to drink." I nodded, walking in silence. His voice became more unfamiliar with each step.

"She doesn't deserve to live."