18

Eleanor Lola Crown stared at the mirror, desperately trying to recognize the person there. She turned sideways, held her hair, poked her belly, twisted her ear, still, nothing. She's been numb for a while. Carefully, she pulled the mirror off the hook, and turned it away. She couldn't stand the person in her, so she turned all the mirrors around. However, she'd made the decision, to honor and respect her mother, she'll see the therapist. Said mother was overjoyed, apparently, she had missed her daughter.

Now, staring at the Therapist, she waited.

"Tell me everything, Lola." She said, her Ibadan accent thick as cloud.

Lola did as she asked. She told her everything, how she'd lost the person that meant the world to her because she was done staying in the midst of wrong people, how her closest friend served her 'breakfast' by leaving. Lola told her everything -- how Friendship failed her, and how it hurt more than a relationship's heartbreak.

The grey haired Therapist listened and nodded accordingly.

A stray tear fell down Lola's eyes as she told her of being numb, losing her art, being unable to connect with her body, slowly fading away.

A smile appeared on the Therapist face as she said "You are mourning, Lola, mourning the loss of who you used to be. Friendship is supposed to feel like a new book, warm, kind and taste like a cloud, but you got hurt and lost yourself in the process. You're grieving, and that is just love persevering. It is basically love souvenir, and a prove we once loved, and that's okay. "

Eleanor Lola Crown listened, and absorbed everything in. An hour later, she left the Therapist's office with a smile. She walked back home, feeling the sun on her skin as she came alive.