Chapter 49

Author's note: The picture is of Viktor's office.

I know he said not to follow him but I couldn't help it. I didn't want to leave him alone in this vulnerable state. I checked the training fields but he was not in there. I checked the dining room, the bedroom, everywhere I could think and then I went to his office. He was there behind his desk writing checks.

"Are you mad at me?" I asked.

"Of course I'm mad at you," he said. "Why wouldn't I be mad at you?"

"What did I do?" I asked.

"It's not what you did. It's what you didn't do, Joyana. You didn't tell me I had become such a problem for you." He said

"You weren't a problem for me. You just weren't doing your duties." I said.

"You know Liam's always going to try to drag me out of my pit, but I thought you would do the same for me," he said.

"I'm sorry. I didn't want to hurt your feelings," I said.

"It's not about my feelings. You said it yourself I'm not taking care of my responsibilities. I can't believe it's been three months but I'll get this right," he said.

"It was around the time when you skipped your charity event that I knew something was wrong. You seem so happy. I didn't want to take that away from you," I said.

"I am happy Joyana. I'm happy every second I get to spend with you and the kids. Maybe we should have another one,"

"Oh no! You're not getting me to have another kid, not right now. There's a lot going on and our kids are already in danger," I said.

"We'll protect them. At least now I know not to be so cavalier. That unknown people are dangerous," he said.

"Not everyone is going to be a danger," I said.

"Joyana, she shot me in the heart. I should be dead right now. I don't even know how I'm alive," he said, looking pensive.

"I helped you," I said quietly.

"You did? Show me," he said.

I showed him everything that happened from the moment I got into the hospital to the moment we laid down together.

"What is that you're doing?" He asked.

"I don't know. It happened with the girls that my father kept locked away and now all of a sudden I was able to do it with you," I said.

"What's that Eloise does?" He asked.

"That's just herbs to bring out the nasties and a red light to get the rest," I said.

"The nasties?" He asked.

"That's what I call them. She says they're soul sucking parasites," I said.

"So my soul was being eaten?" He asked.

"Something like that. You could always talk to Eloise about it," I said.

"I might have to," he said.

"You didn't even have any interest in questioning the woman who shot you," I said.

"She shot me. What the fuck do I have to say to her?" He asked.

"We don't even know how many of them there are. If they're communicating. We don't know anything," I said.

Viktor sat back and closed his eyes. I sat there watching him wondering what he was doing.

"From what I can see, there are five left
Yes they do communicate and yes they are planning something. I could probably dig in her head better if I was with her but I'm not going anywhere near that woman," he said