1

Present

Present

Spring.

A wonderful season full of warmth and colors. the warm sunlight shining upon the people and the faded clouds fading off to the blue sky. each and every flowers blooming so they can greet the world with a bright smile.

As Teyvat continued to thrive and the Sumeru kingdom enjoying their own nation, the royal family has been well established. one of the princes has been sent off to a private academy to get a well education while as the two older princesses are off to another kingdom, meeting their new fiancés. preparing for their own wedding and marriage.

The whole royal family has been busy with their own business, but a certain young princess? well let's just say that she's not really doing her job as a well mannered princess.

Ditching one of her tutoring sessions, the young princess is currently hiding behind the castle walls, hoping no one could see or find her.

Narrowing her pretty (e/c) eyes behind her, the princess was about to step out of her hiding spot only to bump into a firm chest. yelping, she looked up ahead, only to make eye contact with familiar teal green eyes.

Frozen in shock, she watched the tall man shook his head in disappointment. "your majesty-"

"No!" interrupting the knight, the princess covered his mouth with both her hands. "please, let me go out. just this one time," she begged.

Staying inside the castle walls was boring and dull, so being her adventurous self, she wants to go out to the city, where nobles and other folks reside in. meet new people, try new things, see what her people are like.

Sighing, the knight took her smaller hands into his bigger one and removed it from his mouth, "you know how your father is, if he finds you out again..."

"IF! if he finds me," (Y/n) sternly said while glaring at the knight in front of her. not fazed by the harsh glare, the knight sighed once more.

"Your majesty, if you don't go back to your lessons, you know how it will end for the both of us."

Her lips turned into a thin line as she realizes that he was right. if her father were to find out, he will add more guards around the castle ground, making it harder to sneak away.

"Fine, i'll go back..." she started off, but knowing she has other things to say, her knight waited. "only
if you escort me. i don't want that old hag thinking i tried escaping again. if she sees me with you, then she will probably think it was important and all."

Nodding, "alright, lead the way your majesty." her knight said formally. rolling her (e/c) eyes at the formal name, the said princess walked back. dreading to go back to her strict teacher and boring lessons.

- ✦ -

- ✦ -

"And where have you been, young lady?!"

Pinching her ear, the older woman glared down at the princess who whined in response. "you are two hours late to your lesson and we are now behind schedule! your father wouldn't like to hear about this, now would he?"

Grumbling and rubbing her redden ear, (Y/n) was about to talk back only to watch her teacher raise their hand. signaling her to be quiet and listen.

"As the pride and joy of this kingdom, you are suppose to hold a high reputation. not only for yourself, but for your family and your people as well. i understand it's a lot of pressure, but sometimes you have to realize that this is your faith. we can't choose who we want to be, so we must stick with the life we are given in."

Biting her lip in frustration, (Y/n) looked down in silent. fisting her hands together, (Y/n) kept on listening to the same words, over and over again. about her being the face of the kingdom, the princess that must be prepare for her arranged future. the princess that must hold a high standard.

She was like a bird in a cage. a beautiful bird with magnificent feathers that could make anyone kneel down to her. sadly, her future relies on the metal bars that are taking away her freedom and flight.

"You are coming at age where you must find a handsome prince that will take your hand. unite two kingdoms together, bringing peace between the two. freedom doesn't play in this part, only duty. understand, princess?"

Shutting her eyes, the princess sighed dejectedly and quietly replied with a small "yes."

Nodding in satisfaction, the teacher glanced at the knight who could only stand tall behind the princess. although he has no expression, she can easily tell that the knight is just as frustrated as the princess. the way he is staring straight ahead with a hard look or the way his fist are tightened together.

"Sir Al Haitham, i think it's best if you go back to the training grounds. her majesty needs to continue on with her lesson." waving the knight away, (Y/n) frowned.

"He can stay."

Glancing back at the princess, the teacher raised her brow, "stay? for what, princess? a mere knight can go back to the training grounds and do their things they do with their weapon. he is only here for your escorts and all."

Before (Y/n) could defend Al Haitham, she felt a gloved hand on her shoulder. "i will be going now, your majesty. hope your lessons go well."

About to protest, (Y/n) then watch her knight walk away and exit the room. once the double door had shut, her teacher then clapped her hand. "alright princess, let's begin our lesson."

Frowning and continuing on staring at the closed door, (Y/n) sighed dejectedly, "yes, ma'am."

- ✦ -

- ✦ -

"What has gotten you so sad, darling?" her mother asked as she poured hot tea in her daughter's teacup.

As of now, (Y/n) and her mother was having their usual tea date. ever since her other siblings left the kingdom, (Y/n) decided to have a tea date with her mother so she didn't have to feel so lonely without her siblings around.

"Mother..."

Humming in question, her mother watch her youngest daughter fiddled with her fingers.

"Why can't i decide my own future?"

Not hearing a response, (Y/n) gazed up from her lap and sees her own mother staring off to the garden scenery. the light dimmed down once the question was asked.

"I'm sorry my flower, but you will have to ask your father that. i know it's hard to accept it at first, but once you realize that it's for the greater good, it will be all worth it." her mother said softly while giving a half smile.

Not convinced from the smile, (Y/n) nodded and just let the silent bask in between the mother and daughter duo.

(not edited)
8/21/22