28

"Regarding the princess?"

Al Haitham could feel his heart drop as he saw the saddened look in Nahida's eyes. her eyes gazed off to the side and sighed softly.

It was silent between them. as if the air could be cut in half with a sword. the tense between the both of them was harsh, making anyone feel anxious and uncomfortable.

"Have you ever thought about the princess's true feelings?"

That confused the knight. what did she mean how the princess felt? of course he knew that the princess feels lost right now. she had just lost her subjects, her kingdom, and her family. if the princess were to seek vengeance then she had every right because who could blame her? she was just living her life as a princess until it all became crumbling down.

Nahida shook her head and repeated the question again. "let me rephrase that, have you ever thought about what will happen to the princess after all of this?"

Al Haitham furrowed his brows and gazed down to the ground. he was glaring down to the point it looks like the ground will have a hole.

"She will reclaim her kingdom, am i wrong?"

"Well that's partially true," Nahida said. "the only difference is that she will become queen and i don't think she will be prepared for it. what i know so far, princess (Y/n) wasn't supposed to become queen, her eldest brother was.. but now that he's gone, she will have to reclaim her throne."

"What's so wrong about her reclaiming her rightful throne? she may not be prepared for it, but it's the only way she could keep the kingdom in her rightful hands. i'm sure she can learn how to become queen once she-" Al Haitham stopped himself as he see Nahida shaking her head once more.

"Princess (Y/n) doesn't have the mentality for it. after this whole chaos right now, princess (Y/n) will start questioning herself. is she worth being queen? does she have a purpose after losing her family and most of her subjects? how can she recover after seeing the death of many loved ones? those will be the thoughts she will have. i'm afraid she will ruin herself as she will have these thoughts."

"Why are you telling me this?" Al Haitham said sternly as he stared at Nahida. his gloved hands turned into fists as he thought about his beloved princess ruining herself over these dreadful things. if Al Haitham were to be honest, he believed that the princess is strong enough to become queen. although it's too early for her to become one, she should have the will to become one.

"I'm telling you this because you may be the only one that can save her. if she were to be gone as well, then the Sumeru kingdom will reach to its end. this kingdom will become a fallen kingdom, becoming out of existence." Nahida explained as she turned her gaze towards the knight. her big starry green eyes stare directly at the knight, "please save the princess before it's too late."

— ✦ —

She felt weak. her whole body is aching as she lies mindlessly in the dungeon. the bruises on her skin was uncomfortable to look at. her dimmed eyes was too pity to stare into. everything in her feels lost and empty.

"I don't deserve my title as the princess..."

(Y/n) stared down at the ground with bloodshot eyes. all of the crying she had done prior had dried up. her cheeks feels crusty due to her dry tears running down. her lips feel chapped.

"Father and mother must be so disappointed in me right now," she mumbled as she thought about her parents. growing up, she knew how much her father felt about the royal family. he was a prideful man who loved his kingdom and his family. although he was strict sometimes, he was still a man that committed his life to the kingdom.

Grasping her chest, she felt her heart aching as she thought about the innocent lives that had passed away. all of those lives were now in her hands. although it was her brother that killed them, it was still her fault that they all lost their previous lives.

She was the princess for fuck sakes. she was supposed to protect her subjects no matter what. she was supposed to stand against her brother. her blood.

Her blood, huh?

"Why did it have to end this way?" she questioned herself as she continued to mourned in guilt and regret.

While the princess was alone in her thoughts, she suddenly felt a light touch on her shoulder. gasping in fear, (Y/n) turned around and looked around.

"W-Who's there!?"

There was no one?

Feeling scared, (Y/n) scooted herself to the corner and looked around again, "is anyone there?" but there was no one around. the only thing she could see was the small candle being lit up outside from her dungeon cell.

"I must be imagining things.." feeling her heart beat going to a normal pace, (Y/n) continued to doze off until a voice whispered in her ear.

"(Y/n)~"

This time, (Y/n) whipped her head towards the voice and widened her eyes as she stared what's in front of her.

"Who are you!?"

The flying creature titled their head and smiled. "well aren't you a silly thing, it's me!"

(Y/n) scooter further away, "i'm sorry, but i don't know you or.. what are you?"

The creature crossed their arms and pulled a prideful look, "obviously i'm your companion! can't believe you don't remember me when i was with you ever since you were a baby!"

(Y/n) blinked and rub her eyes, "i must be imagining things and starting to go crazy," she said as she rub her eyes furiously.

Blinking her eyes open once more, (Y/n) yelped as the creature was now close to her face. "h-hey! i don't know who you are or why you're here but can't you just leave me alone? i don't have the energy to be talking to my hallucinations..."

The creature puffed out their cheeks, "HEY! Paimon is not a hallucination! can a hallucination do this!?" the creature called Paimon started pinching (Y/n)'s cheeks harshly which made the princess whine in pain.

"Y-You're real!?"

Paimon smirked, "obviously! i've been real ever since you were born princess."

Shaking her head in disbelief, "so you're like some sort of guardian?"

"Paimon is not a guardian! i am a companion!"

The princess could only apologize and continued to ask questions, "then what are you doing her? how did you down here?"

Paimon smiled and pointed outside of the cell, "i'm here to get you out princess, that's why i'm here."

(not edited)
09/09/23