5

Few days had now passed by and the upcoming grand ball is already tomorrow

Few days had now passed by and the upcoming grand ball is already tomorrow. the whole kingdom is excited and happy, except the young princess.

Everyone in the kingdom thinks the grand ball is just another fun event where all royals or nobles come together to interact, but in reality it's for the princess to find a future lover. the king has already waited long enough so he needs his only single daughter to find a nobleman or a prince to marry. while as the queen herself could only oblige to the idea as she too agree that her daughter needs to find a lover in her life.

As all servants and maid excitedly talk about the grand ball, they could only excite their heart out about meeting handsome or wealthy people.

"I can't wait to see what the grand ball theme is!"
"What about the nobles and royals coming? imagine a prince falling in love with you!"
"Don't forget about the dukes as well!"
"Hey, what about the princess? she seems down for the past few days.. i thought she would be excited?"
"I don't know, but let's focus on how we can make those handsome nobles fall in love with us!"

Giggling while passing by the library, the three maids continued on gossiping about the grand ball. as the maids made a turn in the hallway, they didn't notice a certain princess sitting alone in the library.

Gently turning to the next page of her book, (Y/n) let her eyes move towards each word printed on the page. sensing how all the words create a single meaning together.

Ever since the whole breakfast event took place, (Y/n) had rarely seen her parents as they were too busy for the upcoming ball. luckily though, Al Haitham was with her most of the time so she didn't have to feel lonely. if the princess was ever bored, she would go to the castle training grounds and watch her knight duel with another knight.

Sighing quietly, she shut her book and placed it on the wooden table. standing up and dusting her dress down, (Y/n) left the library.

Today was a free day, meaning she didn't have any lessons which included history, dance, and etiquette classes.

Walking through the hallway, (Y/n) thought of how she will survive the dreadful grand ball. plastering a fake smile to all nobles and royals once she greets them. pretend she's interested in the politic conversation she will have with other grand dukes. forcing herself to accept any other men to dance the night away.

"Oh! princess, i've been looking for you!"

Turning around, (Y/n) sees Darina walking up to her with a huge exciting smile on her stunning face.

Giving a small smile in a polite way, (Y/n) let Darina catch up to her. once she stood in front of the Sumeru princess, Darina clasp her hand together, "princess! since tomorrow is the grand ball, have you chosen what ball gown you're going to wear?"

Shaking her head, "no, but i might choose my teal green one. have you decided one, yet?" (Y/n) politely asked back.

Darina just tilted her head cutely, "i haven't, but it will be a surprise! i can't wait for you and sir Al Haitham to see it!"

"Al Haitham?" (Y/n) asked with furrowed brows. why was he suddenly in this conversation?

"Oh right, i forgot to mention, but i'm planning to ask him to be my date! isn't that great?!" Darina happily replied while daydreaming about the said knight. "just imagine, princess! you dancing with a handsome prince on the ball room floor while i dance with Al Haitham. it's like we are two princesses together!"

a/n: i just realized that i'm making Darina a second TRASHTA- (my manhwa readers, you know what i'm talking about 💀)

"I-I see," (Y/n) quietly said while gripping her arm. just thinking about Darina and Al Haitham together made her own heart feel unease. if they walk in the ballroom together, hand in hand, everyone in the room will think they're real lovers from a wealthy background.

Someone as gorgeous as Darina would look so good with Al Haitham if (Y/n) was being honest, but just the thought of it nearly made herself seethe jealousy and envy.

Feeling her own insecurity rise, (Y/n) snapped out of the negative thoughts and just plastered another fake smile at the bubbly maid.

"Well i hope you and the other maids enjoy your time at the grand ball tomorrow, but i must be going-"

"Wait! where are you going? i can happily accompany you, princess!" Darina was about to take a hold onto (Y/n)'s arm in order to stop her from leaving, but (Y/n) was quick enough to dodge it.

"It's alright. it's for a personal matter so excuse me."

Quickly leaving and making a turn, (Y/n) walked away from the maid who could only watch innocently. "what a strange, princess." Darina mumbled once the princess was out of her sight.

- ✦ -

- ✦ -

"Are you not excited for the grand ball tomorrow?"

Humming mindlessly, (Y/n) only buried herself into the white pillow and ignored her second oldest brother. (Y/n) had decided to visit her brother who was studying in his bedroom.

The other two brothers were away while as her sisters are busy with their lives. so this only lead to her only sibling in the castle.

"(B/n), are you excited?" (Y/n) asked back which earned her brother's full attention.

"Yes and no."

Lifting her head from the pillow, she narrowed her gaze at him, "that's not an answer."

Sighing and taking off his reading glasses, "look, i'm excited because i'm tired of studying and training all day so this ball could be a break for me, but.."

"But what?"

"But although i'm against on you finding a lover, i can only obey to father's idea. it's bound to happen anyways and i don't want my baby sister to be all alone once we all grow old." (B/n) explained as he stare at his sister who looked at him with a frown.

"I don't get what's wrong with being alone. i mean, i don't have to depend myself to a prince that has a big ego."

Chuckling lightly, (B/n) stood up and walk towards his sister. raising his gloved right hand and caress her (h/c) head, "which is why i'll be there for you. i can easily send off any bastard of a prince out your way. just say the word."

Smiling at her brother, (Y/n) buried herself back into the soft pillow while as her brother went back to his desk to work on his documents.

'I hope tomorrow night will go well.'

a/n: let me be honest, my lovelies.. this is too much fun to write so i might as well make this book an angst with a happy ending 🤭

okay, i'm going to prepare the next chapter which is the GRAND BALL SO GET EXCITED or else 🤬

(not edited)
8/31/22