Chapter 10

"Jadis, it's time to go," a voice brakes through the fog of deep sleep.

I growl and swat at the annoyance.

"Jadis!" The voice is quiet but sharp.

I peek open my eyes, Ryen crouches next to me.

"Up now." He says and moves away from me and to the fire. I sit up rubbing my eyes. "Here's a cup of tea and you can eat some of the food you packed as we ride."

I barely grab the cup in time, the hot liquid splashes dangerously close to my skin. Just holding the cup warms me, the little cave isn't too different from waking up in our home. Cold stone, even with a warm little fire going in the main room. Though now it is no longer home I think with indifference.

"Jadis." Ryen scolds.

"Yeah yeah." I mutter and begin sipping the sharp pine tea, "Ew, did you make this with fresh needles?" I gulp it down for the warmth but the normal pleasant tea is bitter. "Have you already eaten? I noticed you didn't share dinner with me."

He just grunts.

The tea wakes me enough to get me moving on my feet. Quickly I roll up the blankets. He must have given me another in the night. I carry the bundles and flask in one hand and shield my eyes with the other. The bright winter sun is reflecting off the snow. The snowbank outside is nearly over my head, how had it snowed that much overnight!

Ryen is in the dark of the mouth of the big cave, he takes the blankets from me and ties them on the saddles. I swing jump into the saddle, Goddess lets out a big breath and I know the saddle girth is now loose. Fortunately I can balance well enough. I look up and see Ryen is on his mare and ready to go. I nod, and he leads us deeper into the stale smelling cave.

Focusing the power through my limbs and down to the tips of my fingers I make a dim orb of light. Cave paintings fill the first part of the cave, the cave then narrows down to a tunnel big enough for horses and single wagons. I flatten myself against Goddess but really there is enough room for me to sit up right.

"Douse the orb," Ryen says only loud enough that I can barely hear.

"Why?"

"Because I say so," he growls. As if predicting my next question he adds, "The horses can see and know the way."

I did as he asks, the area immediately plunges into darkness very much scaring me! "How long will we be in the cave?" My voice shakes.

"Until we reach Cutes Mutanta, then we'll wait at Way Point."

"Fine," I grumble.