Chapter 40

Logan sets me down in the center of town, a part I haven't seen before, the building in front of us is the largest I've seen here. It isn't taller than the others but it's long, the length of four huts.

I try to fix my unruly hair as we approach. Logan doesn't knock, he lets us in and closes the door quietly behind us. The huge building is filled with people seated at tables eating their breakfast. Is this the whole town? I wonder.

Logan leads us to the back of the room, old men are at a table of their own. The nearest table has two empty spaces, we slid onto the bench. Logan makes me a plate, of wonderful smelling food that is in dishes all over the table to be self served. Logan mostly feeds me food that I know, like potatoes, eggs, simple food unlike whatever Ryen fed me. Which was good of course, but the simplicity has me swooning over Logan. My gaze moves from the food to him, his brown hair looks perfect messy, but purposefully. He glances at me with a grin, I blush. I so didn't mean to be caught staring.

He leans into me and whispers, "You can look at me anytime baby."

This only makes me blush more. I'm acting like a child, geez Jadis, did you not make fun of Alex and very other girl for this same behavior. Maybe it was just because I didn't know how it felt to be in love. Love. This most definitely is love, though what do I know of love?

I am introduced to Logan's friends, and we chat about nothing while waiting for the elders to finish their breakfast. That is really the only rule, no one leaves until the elders are done, easy enough and I'm enjoying the company.

A silence falls over the crowd. I didn't see the signal but apparently everyone else did. One of the old men stands, his dark hair is cut short.

"Thank you for this mornings feast." He bows his head. Everyone follows suit, except a handful that raise proudly. Wow, actually acknowledging real work. "Thank you to the new couple for joining us." He looks at me.

I move into Logan who pulls me up to rise. He kisses me lightly, telling me with his eyes to let him lead. I squeeze his hand hopefully telling him I understand.

"Go about your day in happiness." He says.

Everyone leaves except Logan and I. Logan ushers me in front of the now clear table where the elders sit. Feeling eyes on me, I glance over my shoulder to see Sebastian lingering at the front. He nods slightly, I smile. I like my quiet guard.

The elders stony gaze has me pressing myself closer to Logan. His strong arm wraps around me, pulling me in even tighter. He kisses my head before turning his focus on the panel of the elders.

"Logan, you have went against tradition and disgraced yourself." He stares at us. "What is worse is that you broke the treaty. This woman is under our protection. You cannot just claim her and expect-."

His words are cut off by the doors slamming open.

"The deaora has arrived. He needs to speak with you privately. He'll be in town soon." To Sebastian he says, "You are to take her out of town until sunset."

My heartbeat picks up. He's here! My Ryen is back!

"I must see him!" Logan is still holding me, I try to take a step to the door.

"No miss, he said that he and Logan will retrieve you."

I feel a mixed of being able to light on fire with anger and breaking down into tears. He doesn't want to see me. Yet, the other part of my brain says. You'll see him soon.

"It's alright babe, I'll be with you soon." He purrs in my ear, it puts me at ease instantly. He kisses me gently, before turning me towards the door and to Sebastian.

I nod slowly, even though he helped tears still trickle down my eyes.

"Hurry up now." Sebastian commands.