Chapter 14

The footing gives way to a dark nearly black dirt. Looking ahead the cave opens to a few gray wood houses on the left, men are doing chores, chopping wood, sharpening tools, etc. One of the fields on the right is filled with bright blue grass that expands all the way to a clear lake surrounded by giant orangish colored trees. Clear enough that from my far view I can see the dark sand beneath. Beyond that I glimpse the sea.

"Wow," I gasp. I look at Ryen to confirm that I'm not crazy and that everything is really shades of blue!

He smiles at me and points to the sky, "Those aren't the only differences." I see that the sun and moon is a light shade of blue too.

"How is that possible?" I ask.

One of the men came closer hearing my question. His hair color is a similar yellow to mine, is shaggy but not long. He wears a loose gray tunic and trousers. He isn't as muscled as the guard but more so than Ryen which has me smiling brightly at him.

"Our planet is hidden from others, somehow turning everything blue."

"But how is that so?" Apparently my awestruck has limited my speech capabilities.

He just shrugs, "That information has been forgotten centuries ago." I raise an eyebrow, surprised that something so odd could be forgotten. He too waves us on, "Safe travels friends." He's still beaming as we ride out of sight.

We ride upon a red and purple bricked road with seemingly purposefully planted flowers boarding the wide lane. The stunning blue grass is everywhere, cows, horses and sheep graze lazily among it free roaming. The sea seems to be everywhere in the distance, except in the direction we're headed. Even though the sea is in sight I know it will be no less than an hours ride to reach it.

"Ryen?" I say softly, "Are those skinchangers?" I nod to the livestock.

He's ahead of us, his cloak is tied down to his saddle. When did he take it off? I can now see crimson shirt, it's such an odd color it's brighter than his cloak. I can tell even from the back that it's a custom fit, and most likely button up. My eyes travel down past his black cotton pants to the soft black leather boots. His saddle bags are also a soft matching black leather.

"No," he chuckles patting his mare.

I can't tell what kind of horse his mare is, she's a bay like Goddess. Except Goddess is so dark she's nearly black and his mare is more of a red brown with black mane and tail, and four black stockings. In almost every way she makes Goddess look plain in comparison. I pat Goddess' neck, I dearly love her despite that she has more faults than value.

"Goot-mornin," a woman raises her hand in a wave. She has a donkey pulling a cart of vegetables. The way she dresses startles me, she is practically topless. She wears only a brown strip of cloth around her breasts with trousers pulled tight around her lower hips and they billow out with so much fabric that at first I assume it's a skirt.

"Good morning!" I call back smiling.

"Ryen?" I say after we're out of ear shot.

"Yeah?" He gives me a smirk.

"Is everyone here so overly friendly?"

"No."

I frown, puzzled. I get excited thinking that it must be me that they are happy to see.

"Way Point, is just up on the hill. I told you the village is for travelers, so most people are very friendly to make the guests feel comfortable and at ease." He looks back at me mischievously. "I see it is already working for you."

The slight hurt at not being special is overridden by confusion. I frown. "What's working?"

He chuckles, "Eh, don't worry about it." We're quiet for a little while, he halts his mare to ride next to me. "Jadis, I suppose I should have asked you this previously." He pauses considering his words. "Were you paired with anyone? Are you attached to someone we left behind?"

I can feel my cheeks, no probably my entire body turn red once again. "Um no. I um, no one caught my interest even if I did have a choice in the matter. Someone in my dreams calls to me. Why is that important?"

He laughs, "Because you looked at that guard as if you have never seen a man before. And ya know I happen to be a handsome man."

I cough out a laugh, "I can't believe you just said that."