Chapter 18

Back at the huts, we approach the four low tables that surround the kitchen hut. All of them are currently covered in a variety of foods. Ryen picks up an empty bowl and fills it full of a little of everything. I lead us back to our hut, once we're both in he pushes the bowl into my hands. I sit on the bed, setting the bowl carefully next to me.

"Are you not hungry?" I ask, seeing that he hasn't moved.

His stare is strained, he's also noticeably paler. "Yes, excuse me." He turns to leave but pauses, "eat." Then he is gone.

"Alright then." I say to myself. Then move the bowl to the bookshelf, and grab a book at random. The only reading material in Sutle is the journals of the Lords. An incredibly slow boring read that consists of names of the people, ages, punishments, and gifts received and given to the Gods.

I look to the book in my hand, a murder mystery. Hmm, without looking my other hand finds the bowl. I start eating and dive into the unknown book.

......

"Are you going to read all night?" Ryen asks.

I screech! He's standing above me, I am so absorbed in my book that I hadn't even heard him come in.

"Hi," is the only response I can come up with.

"There are some night clothes in the restroom if you want to change. I'll brush your hair as well."

Still holding the book I grab the clothes off of the bed, and my water glass from the desk. I don't set the book down as I change or refill the water. I'm halfway through and there are still four suspects! He sits me down on a cushion on the floor. I feel extremely pampered as I keep reading. When he finishes I climb onto one side of the bed and make it comfortable for me to be on my stomach. I do take note that Ryen is back to reading papers at the desk before refocusing.

I finish the book in the late morning, I set it down with a sleepy smile. Then stretch, Ryen is sleeping next to me, his back to me and tangled in separate blankets than the ones I am under. I'm not sure why, but I appreciate that even though we're sharing the same bed he put boundaries up.

"That was a great book," I murmur to myself as I get up to use the restroom. I'm still in the loose shirt and light pants that I wore to bed.

"Hmm?" He says still asleep.

I don't repeat myself, as I return I stop next to him on his side of the bed. "Ryen," I whisper, "wake up." I'm not sure exactly why I want him awake, I just need to get up and move about.

He flips over on his back and looks up at me with annoyance, "Did you sleep at all?"

I groan and yawn. "Nope."

He pulls me down onto his chest. My heart thuds. "Uuh."

"Ssh. It's too early." He pins me too him with arms of stone. Well of course not stone but it doesn't matter I can't move him. "Jadis." He groans, "sleep."

As if against my will my eyelids flutter closed.