📍Chapter II: Conspiracy (?)

Chapter II: Conspiracy (?)

PIT-PAT-PIT-PAT ...

The loud shushing sound of the rain drummed against the dome's glass surface. It only allowed some through its tiny formed holes - like a giant shower head - until an hour had passed. This is done to prevent any flooding.
Milo was on a video chat with Kaira, Leo, Jin and Irene via his laptop. He kept glancing at his bed window where there appears to be a bright red light in the distance.

"I kept seeing it ever since we moved here. The Red Bubble usually glows at night so maybe one of you could tell me what it is ... " he pleaded with an awkward grin and both hands gesturing at them.

There was a moment of silence.

They could hear a child's high-pitched screaming coming from Leo's camera. Leo slowly popped a potato chip into his mouth before talking.
He looks jaded, but at the same time has gotten used to his little sister causing a ruckus around the house.

"Well, my friend ... That place is off-limits and the authorities say we shouldn't go near that place," he said.

"What do you think is in that place?" Milo asked.

"Nobody knows for sure, but they had closed that off following the deadly Magrana virus outbreak ten years ago," Leo said.

The Magrana outbreak was caused by the virus of the same name.
It has left people with huge bloody boils on their bodies, their blood becoming infected until their insides resemble the pulps of a real pomegranate. Hence, its Catalan name "magrana."
Since it started on that island, it had to be closed off while its residents are forbidden from ever leaving.

"I doubt that," Irene refuted, "How come it was never broadcasted on TV? Besides, that story is just made up by some kid from BreadIt*."

She argued that there was no way the Magrana virus existed, though something similar was called the Mariana disease except it didn't turn people's insides into pulps.

"Do you think the government is hiding a secret bioweapon in there?" Jin asked.

"Maybe," the rest answered in chorus.

Irene then told Milo about how the subject of The Red Bubble is a rather sensitive topic in this country.
You are not allowed to share any personal theories or try diving into this case yourself in public spaces - most notably, on social media.
Of course, spreading them is forbidden. However, it is fine to keep it within a limited group.

"Either you risk your online privileges or if you're lucky, be requested to take down the - " she was suddenly stopped when Leo's camera disappeared from the chat.

"Oh no ... It's his darn Internet connection again!" Jin face-palmed.

* NOTE:
"BreadIt" is a parody of the website called Reddit.