🎙 The Anonymous Host: AMANDI

The Anonymous Host: AMANDI

"Trust no one."

The host always concludes every segment with that phrase. Now, today's segment is about The Pyro Eight mysteries. In this small room, Amandi and Xavier G. both sat in front of the desk that is illuminated by the bright red light. They were surrounded by recording equipment.
     It was just the two of them as one can hear that low, uncomfortable buzzing noise in the background.

"Now, Mr. Xavier Gomez. I heard about the newest masterpiece that's inspired by your trip to the Pyrenees Mountains," Amandi began, "If I'm correct, you bear witness to what happened to Professor Chevalier there fifteen years ago in the summer of 2040. You illustrated what appears to be a shadowy man that's clawing his way out of a sinkhole."

"That is correct. I had it in my living room instead of selling it. I already sold many paintings throughout my career and want to try making something that's, well, 'personal,'" Mr. Gomez described it.

"I see. I'm sure everybody here listening is eager to see that work even from a distance," Amandi suggested it could be a photograph of that painting and people would still marvel at it.

There was a moment of pause in the room. The old painter was adamant towards showing the painting in fear that it might disclose his exact location. The public has no clue that he actually lives in an isolated mansion in Circa IX and he prefers to keep it that way. Not even in this interview.
    He told Amandi that he first met Professor Chevalier during one of his art exhibits in Spain during the winter of 2025. The educator is also an avante-garde painter who used to teach arts at the University of Malaga. They instantly became close acquaintances with one another and traveled a lot together.

"He had a pure, childlike mindset who saw beauty in everything. His paintings reflected his love for people and nature. He loves taking trips in the wild, the mountains, the oceans. He once told me of planning to retire so he can live long enough and spend more time with his family," Mr. Gomez then frowned, "Unfortunately, that may not be the case when we went for a hike until a dense ring of puffs of snow had engulfed him from below."
  He speculated that it could be a sinkhole since whatever had sucked Professor Chevalier remains a mystery. Amandi clears up their throat and proceeds to give condolences. There was a sympathetic tone in their voice.

"Should I give you some time before we proceed with the next question?"

"Of course," Mr. Gomez sniffled.

"This one is gonna be a little personal and I hope you're in the best state of mind to answer this. The question is "Do you happen to know about Professor Chevalier's past connections with a criminal syndicate?" Amandi glanced at his tablet to read the excerpt of an old article from the Spanish tabloids, "It has been reported here in this article both the French and Spanish police have been tracking him down for a long time."

The elderly artist was a little irate upon hearing this and insisted his friend was innocent. "SOMEONE MUST HAVE FORGED THAT ARTICLE! I HAVE KNOWN PROFESSOR CHEVALIER FOR A LONG TIME AND KNEW HE WOULDN'T DO SUCH THINGS!"

Amandi thought this reaction could be a sign of age or they unintentionally came off as harsh. "You have a point. It's so easy to fabricate evidence nowadays. But with a highly-trusted news company like El Maíz*, I really doubt they would do something like this."

This is only speculative but the news was made during the time when a crime boss known as Manuel Zuñiga Senior has been on the run from authorities since 2025 and allegedly charged with identity theft to cover his tracks. His members were already incarcerated, with the other two being caught in Sicily this year.
     A loud beeping noise went off. Amandi lets out a clap to end the interview. "What a relief!" Mr. Gomez thought calmly as he headed towards the door. Then, he heard Amandi mumble something under his breath.

"You're a resident of Circa IX, correct?"

Mr. Gomez looked at Amandi until his eyes laid down to his rose golden card on the floor. For some reason, the host figured this is how he is able to travel to the reclusive dome island. He looked comprehensive until he was assured that this conversation wasn't recorded at all.

There is more to Amandi than meets the eye.

* NOTE:
El Maíz is a parody of the famous Spanish news company EL PAÍS.