🪙 Chapter XIV: OMAR

Chapter XIV: OMAR

The mall has been greeted by huge crowds at the start of the week. Along the way, Irene was able to spot Tammy and her friends standing behind the LED display. She rather ignored them as she wasn't in the best state of mind to speak with them.
Now something caught her eye and that is some guy in a fedora chatting with Milo near the fire exit. She didn't know it was Omar. He later walked towards the other side of the building which leads to the parking area. Tammy wanted to follow him but Leo stopped her.

"Hey, there you are! I saw there's a new drawing tablet on sale. It could be a nice replacement for that old one you've been using since grade school," Mrs. Ferrari called.

"Oh yeah ... Thanks for reminding me," Irene responded softly while staring at the group from afar.

"Before we head home, we must head to the hardware store for some house paint. It's not that far from the parking lot ... " Mrs. Ferrari said.

For some reason, Irene felt a slight chill over her body. She remembered the man just walked through that area. She tried warning her mom about him, explaining why they should be careful.
However, Mrs. Ferrari quickly dismissed it and told her not to label any stranger as such based on appearances. With the apprehensive look on Milo's face while talking to him, it's no doubt this person is dubious.
She decided it's best not to worry her mom anymore. They haven't fully recovered from that embarrassing museum incident in Santa Mirabel.
The hardware store is situated along the parking area. Their car is parked right outside the exit. Irene had to wait outside at the lobby alone. From the other side, there stood a plump lady trying to calm her barking little dog. The runt was looking straight at Irene. There's no doubt something feels off!

"Good afternoon, Irene!" a cold voice made her jump off the bench. It was the stranger in the fedora.

"Hey, back off! How'd you know my name?" she could kick his shins anytime now.

"I know a lot about you, Irene ... Your friends, your muddled past ... " he smirked, "By the way, my name's Omar. I'm an ex-cop."

"Really? Show me your ID!" Irene demanded.

Surprisingly, he pulled one out from his sleeve like magic and showed it to her. She still remains skeptical as his identification card only showed a picture, his first name and position. "What do you want from me?" she said.

"I'm here to warn you of something, my dear. Your friend Milo could be up to no good," Omar whispered.

Irene wasn't going to trust him that easily. He certainly gives off a conniving vibe. "Whoa! Sounds like you're projecting. I know my friend well that he ain't a troublemaker," she said in a snarky tone.

"Isn't he the one who actually solved The Red Bubble case? Quite impressive for someone his age!" He added, "Now he is digging into the one involving Miss Odval's school."

"What?!"

"Tsk, just as I feared ... He has been keeping a lot of things from you. He hasn't learned anything since the stalking episode," Omar uttered. He is aware that Irene is the last person to hear all of this.

"That's none of your business, Mr. Omar! You know nothing about me or any of my friends! I might as well call the po - " Irene gasped in the end once she saw him already holding her phone.

"There's no need, my dear. You're already talking to one right now," he referred to himself.

Before he disappeared, he cautioned her about some of the rich folks watching Milo's every move.
They are the relatives of these Red Bloomers who could afford to send anyone at your door. It's not just Milo whom he thinks could be in trouble, but also everyone he knows.
She is at war on whether she must stop Milo from looking deeper into the case as told or let him continue to find the answers. Irene was later startled once she heard her mother's voice.

"Irene, time to go!" Mrs. Ferrari called. Her mom didn't seem to notice Omar judging by her reaction. Irene asked if she ever saw a man come around.

"Don't be ridiculous, hun! I just saw that fat lady's dog barking at nothing," her mom casually slapped her arm and told her to quit acting weird.