All That Remains

"Rayna?" someone said softly as they shook her.

She opened her eyes and was greeted by the purple wall that her bed was up against. This was the second day of her being in her parents' house. The second night she hadn't gotten any sleep. Yes, she was tired but right now sleep didn't come easy. Her old home was prison. This had to be what hell was like. And mother was the devil that wore Prada. She was wishing she would have took Anthony's offer to let him set her up in a nice hotel.

Rayna turned over to see her sister Maya. "What time is it?" she groaned.

"It's 9:08." she said.

Rayna looked at the window and saw sunlight creeping through her curtains. Rayna got out the bed and walked down stairs with Maya.

"You need to help with the arrangements." Tyra said.

"Good morning to you." Rayna said.

"Are you hungry? We have another breakfast sandwich left over." Quinton said.

Rayna nodded before her father handed her the breakfast sandwich. The family walked over to the dining room table.

"Why didn't Anthony come?" Tyra asked.

"He didn't need to be here for this." Rayna said unwrapping her breakfast sandwich from the paper.

"He didn't need to be here or he didn't want to be here?" Tyra asked aiming her dragger eyes at Rayna.

"I didn't ask him to come because he has to focus and I don't need you jumping down his throat over some bullshit." Rayna said.

"Let's get this going." Quinton said.

"Where do we want to have the ceremony?" Kevin asked.

"Stop. I want to know something." Rayna said. "How did he pass?"

"Rayna. Don't torture yourself."said Tellis taking her hand.

"I'm being tortured just by being in this house. I think I can handle it." Rayna said.

"Ben hadn't been taking his medicine. He had been stashing it, didn't want to take it. That's what the doctors guessed." Quinton said.

"And..." Rayna said taking a bite of her sandwich.

"Ben got your letter. The doctors said it just had to have been too much for him. He took all of the pills." Tellis said.

Rayna got a sick feeling. Now, she was the one who put him in the hospital and the one that drove him to madness. She fought to hold back the tears. Rayna pushed away her sandwich and sighed.

"Let's get this over with." Rayna said.

"Where will be have the funeral?" Maya said.

"Pastor Edward offered his church." Tyra said.

"Ben didn't like him." Rayna said. "We should have it at the church we were christened at."

"Celebrated the birth there. Why not celebrate the life there?" Kevin said.

"Pastor Edward's church is much nicer." Tyra said.

"It's not about quality right now, Mom." Tellis said.

"What color casket should we get?" Maya asked.

"Black. Old fashioned yet classy." Tyra said.

"Ben liked the red casket we had at Uncle Johnny's funeral." Tellis said.

"Yeah. He always liked red." Kevin said.

"Red is such a tacky color for a casket." Tyra said shaking her head.