Beginning

Beginning

My fingers started to make a stroke on the white sketch pad. I lifted my eyes and looked at the little boy who seems lost and sad all at the same time.

After staring at the boy for a couple of minutes, I looked back on the canvass in front of me and continued to paint. I get lost every time I do a stroke as if it could carry me into a different dimension. My love for art is beyond the moon. I feel like art and me has a connection that can't be named. Holding my pen is like my oxygen, without it, I won't be able to breathe.

I glanced back at the little boy. He's still sitting on the bench. His head hung low, as he is playing with some rocks on the ground. Behind him was the setting sun and the calm sea. From being bluish, the water turned orange, reflecting the colour of the afternoon sky.

I continued with my drawing, couldn't help taking a peek at the boy every once in a while. Several children came in front of him and played. He looked at them, obviously envious of them.

"Hey Allison, you're here again. Is your mom home?"

From the boy, my attention was caught by the voice who called me. I smiled when I saw that it was one of our neighbors Aunt Fely.

"I think Mama is just home Aunt Fely. She said that all the meat products at hand were sold early."

Nodding her head, she pulled the fan out of her bag and fanned herself. Sweats are already crawling down her forehead.

"I'll drop by your house later. I've ordered some meat products for Rich's birthday. I hope you and your mom could come."

I smiled at her, "Sure, Aunt Fely, I'll tell Mama about it. How old is Rich by the way?"

"He is already twenty-nine, I think four years older than you. He will be returning to work next month. He will surely miss you once he does." She said grinning.

I laughed at her remark. She always teases me with her eldest son. I wanted to think of it as a joke but everytime she sees me she never fails to mention that. I myself find it hard to believe that though, because her son always shows me an angry squint whenever he sees me.

"Aunt Fely, you never fail to tease me with Rich. I'm afraid he might get annoyed by it one day."

"He likes you, he's just not making it look obvious because he shows himself as a snob person towards you." Aunt Fely said.

I just shook my head, smiling. I peeked at the little boy from a distance, he was still there just watching the other children playing in front of him.

"What time will you be going home? I'll have to go because I still need to prepare dinner as it is already dawn." she said.

"In a while, I'll just have to finish this before I go home."

She glanced at my sketch pad and said, "You're really good in drawing. You should have continued your studies because you will surely go places."

"Maybe in the future, Aunt Fely. Our savings from selling in the market is still not enough."

I was in my Second Year of College when my mom and I decided for me to stop studying for the mean time. The cost of the course I am taking is too expensive and I can't afford it anymore as we only get money by selling pork and chicken in the market.

Ever since my father left us and married another woman, he also stopped sending money to us for support. I really hate my father to be honest, but my hatred towards him was not because of his neglect of financial support but because he dared to cheat on my mom who did nothing but be a faithful and loving wife to him.