Chapter 24

I chose to stay inside our house together with Reil who's sitting on the couch. He's occupied by the cartoon he's watching but for some reason, I can see that unusual emotions were lingering in his innocent eyes. Chase opted to stay outside as he waited for Colleen to come. He's hesitating to be here with his son. I know he's afraid and nervous to be with him. Even if I'm certain he's longing to him was more evident.

"I don't want to meddle, Tanya. But then I have a feeling that this Colleen will bring chaos to the child's life... and with yours."

I took a deep breath, while still looking at Reil. Same with my mom, I honestly feel the same thing. From the very first time I met Colleen, I know she have a strong personality. Because who in their right state of mind would leave their son at an unknown place and not come back for them?

Even if he told Chase that she accidentally lost their son, I find it hard to believe. I opted to believe with Reil. Why would the kid lie? I even saw how his world crumbled after a few days with the realization that his mom had left her.

He's too smart to even realized that his mother must have left him for good.

"I'm just concerned about Reil, Mama. I'm not sure how he would accept the truth. . . and what his reaction would be when he finally sees his mom, again."

"For sure he'll be hurt. But he's just a kid and he'll sure forget about it. Plus, she's the mother, Tanya. No matter what happens, and no matter what grudge or hatred he might have against her, in the end it still boils down to her being his mother. We can never change that."

I took a deep breath. Honestly, I'm worried about Chase, I'm also worried about Reil's reaction upon hearing the truth.

"Don't meddle with their business, Tanya." Was the last thing my mom said before we look at the door opening harshly.

It's then I saw Colleen, breathing ruggedly while eyes were wide upon seeing Reil. Chase is standing behind him while looking intently at me.

"Azriel!" Colleen shouted upon seeing Reil.

Reil's eyes went wide but did not bother to leave at the couch where he's seated.

"M-Mommy..."
Colleen immediately lunged Reil with an embrace. He didn't hug his mother back, his body obviously turned stiff. From where I am I can see how his eyes turned bloodshot and lips quivering.

"You're back..." Reil's voice trembled.

"I'm here, son. Thank God you're safe. I keep on looking for you. Where have you been?" Colleen's voice broke while still hugging her son.

I almost rolled my eyes at her remark. I had a glimpse of Chase and saw how he's glaring at Colleen's back.

I had to restrain myself from meddling and disregard whatever Colleen is saying.

She was looking for him? What did she do to look fir him? We've gone back on the same spot where I found Azriel, for several days but no one came. I even wrote my contact number on the stone bench only for you to have a hint that your son is with me.

"Why were you looking for me, Mommy? Didn't you and Papa Meynard ask me to stay on that bench and wait for you? I've waited for you, Mommy. B-But days passed and you d-didn't come back for me..." Reil let out painful sobs as tears broke out of his eyes. "You left me alone."

Colleen stiffened at what Reil said. It took her a couple of seconds before she shook her head and cupped Reil's cheeks.

"No, baby. I searched for you—"

"Why would you search for me when you have known where I was in the first place!" Reil shouted back, his voice trembling while continuously sobbing. "You're a liar, Mommy!"

He tried to move away from Colleen even if she keeps on hugging him. Reil suddenly took the jump out of the sofa and ran towards me. I held my breath as he spread his tiny arms and embraced them on my legs. I squatted in front of him. I hugged him and stroked his hair while he's still sobbing.

I glanced at Chase. He looks like a raging and dangerous storm who's about to show his wrath and power. Colleen then anchored her glaring eyes on me.

"Bitch! You kidnapped my son! You took advantage of the fact that he's alone and brainwashed him!"

She stood up and was about to run towards me when Chase suddenly blocked her way. She looked at him and I saw how fear crept on her eyes.

"How dare you accuse her of something she didn't do? Kidnap?" Chase chuckled dangerously. "You fucking abandoned my son somewhere and Allison was there to give him a home!"

"Chase, please... I didn't abandon him. I accidentally lost him—"

"Why do you keep on lying, Mommy? You said that it's bad to lie." Reil said, still sobbing while looking at his parents.

Colleen wasn't able to respond, he just stared back at his son. Meanwhile, Chase was throwing daggers at her that made her look a little more frightened.

"Care to tell me what his real name is?"

Colleen was again caught off guard and she stiffened at Chase's question. She obviously was caught on her loop of lies. She swallowed and then looked away.

"His name is A-Azriel Castillo, Chase. I'm sorry if I faked it—"

"I don't care about your reasons anymore, Colleen. Now that I have my son, I'll make sure that you won't get even the slightest chance to be with him anymore—"

"You can't do that! I'm his mother—"

"A irresponsible mother you mean?" He smirked. "I'll have the full custody of my son, Colleen. I will do everything and make sure you won't have any right against him. You want to bring this on court? Go ahead. Try me."

No words. Colleen remained silent again for the next of couple of seconds. Reil then faced me, eyes already puffy because of tears.

"What is your friend talking about, Aunt Tanya? He keeps on calling me his son..."

I bit my lower lip. I know I have no right to tell him the truth, it's not supposed to be me but I think he would be more confused if no one would explain the situation to him.

Given the situation of Colleen and Chase, I can feel that they will be having a hard time explaining to their son about the truth.

I took a deep breath, caressed his cheek and gave him a small smile while staring back at him.

"Reil, do you remember telling that we might have a deep connection of the man in my dreams?"

He nodded several times as if remembering our conversation. "This is why, Reil. We met because I'm actually the reason for him to finally meet his son. The son that was hidden from him for a long time."

He creased his forehead at what he heard. He's a smart kid and I know that he would understand what I'm trying to tell him.

"Are you trying to tell me po that he's my father?" he shook his head several time dismissing what I just said. "That can't be true, Aunt Tanya. Papa Meynard is my only father."

With that, Chase and Colleen immediately looked at our direction. Pain danced in Chase's eyes while looking at his son. His jaw clenched as he transferred his gaze on Colleen.

"Tell him the truth."

Colleen swallowed before focusing her eyes on Chase.

"You heard him? Meynard is the only father he knows and acknowledges, not you. If you want to gain your son's attention, earn it, work hard for it because I will not tell him the truth!" Colleen whispered at Chase but still enough for me to hear.

I saw how Chase balled his fists. He stepped forward as his jaw clenched ever more hard. My heart was beating fast, I'm not liking the expression I see on his face. Whenever Chase acts like that, I know for sure that he's off to something. He might hurt Colleen right now and that is the last thing I want to happen. He cannot let Reil see his aggressive behavior, at least not yet.

"Chase..." I called.

He then looked at me while eyes still dark. I shook my head, hoping he'll understand what I meant by that.

He breathed out as he walked towards my direction. He bent forward and kissed me on my forehead. He brought his lips closer to my ears, I can hear his rugged breathing.

"I'll be back as soon as possible. I just have to lash this out where my son can't see me..." he whispered and looked at Reil.

He stared at him, still with his dark eyes but it holds an expression of longing towards his son, like he wants to hold and hug him. Reil was staring back at him through his innocent eyes. Without saying anything, Chase then turned his back and stormed out of the house while dragging Colleen with him.