Chapter 1

Chapter 1

I watched my mom walk back and forth in our front while Azriel and I are sitting in the sofa. The kid was looking innocently at her as if he's starting to get curious why she's being like that.

"What a handsome kid he is, Tanya. Are you sure we won't be accused of kidnapping for bringing him here?" My mom said in a high pitched voice but does not sound mad at all.

I sighed. "I don't know where to bring him, Mama. I don't have the heart to just leave him in the authorities . At least if he's here with us I'm certain he will be safe."

She scratched her head, probably thinking the same thing.

She stopped in front of Azriel and looked at him. "What's your plan with him, Tanya?"

"We will come back to the shore tomorrow. Maybe his parents will be there to come back for him."

"And what if they don't?"

I was taken aback by her question. I looked at Azriel, his head hung low as he looked at his fingers quietly.

Even I don't know what to do with this kid if ever his parents won't come back for him anymore. Is it possible? So if his parents won't come back does that mean that they left him intentionally? Or probably, something just happened?

I sighed.

"I don't know, Mama. I'm really not sure what to do but we will not stop coming back to the shore until his parents get him."

Mom released an intense sigh and sat in front of Azriel.

"Hello, I'm Mercy, you can call me Aunt Mercy if you want. Are you okay staying with us for the mean time while we wait for your parents to come back for you?"

The poor kid raised his eyes to look at my mother. His eyes show sadness, a feeling of despair, somewhat similar to a dry leaf as it slowly leaves its branches to fall on the ground.

"It's okay. I know Ate Tanya will take care of me."

My mom nodded. "Do you know your address? We can take you there if you want."

Azriel shook his head. "We just got back from the States, Aunt Mercy. I don't know the exact place we're living."

My looked at me. "We have a rich kid here."

I laughed at her remark. We did not ask Azriel further questions. We decided to keep the kid for the mean time. I'm still contemplating on whether I would tell the authorities about him or let him stay here. I'm not convinced that they will be able to help us in these situation because more often than not, a lot of them are irresponsible. I'd rather sort it out myself.

We went inside my room right after dinner. I can tell Azriel is not used of ordinary foods. I had to buy chicken nuggets from a convenience store nearby, since what we have is stir fried monggo beans.

"I think we can both fit in my bed. Are you used to sleeping with someone?" I asked him when we sat on the edge of my bed.

He roamed his eyes around without any emotion in his face. He looks adorable though.

"I'm used to be with my stuff toys whenever I sleep but it's fine being with you, Aunt Tanya. I'll still feel safe."

I frowned. "Why? What happens when you sleep without your toys?"

He shrugged his shoulders and glanced at me. "Just the usual monsters under the bed."

I laughed at his remark. "Don't worry. There are no monsters here."

He smiled back at me and roamed his eyes around the small room. His gaze then suddenly fixed on one direction. When I looked at where he's looking, I found him staring at a mini canvas placed on my wood easel stand.