Chapter 2

Chapter 2

It's already four in the afternoon when I told Aunt Fely and Rich that we will be leaving. Azriel and I still have to go back to the bay and wait for his parents.

"You know what, Aunt Tanya. I think Uncle Rich has a crush on you."

I frowned at his sudden remark. I looked at him, his tiny hand was holding mine as we walked at the side of the road. There are a few cars passing through that's why I'm very cautious of him while we walk.

"What are you talking about? Aren't you too young for those things?" I responded back at him.

"That's how my Papa looks at Mummy everytime even though sometimes they fight, I know he still loves her."

"Rich and I are just friends," I told him even though I myself is uncertain if he considers me as such. "And he has a girlfriend. You saw the woman I was talking to earlier?"

He nodded his head.

"That's his girlfriend, Azriel. She's pretty, right?"

"Hmmm. She is. But you're prettier than her, Aunt Tanya."

I chuckled. "At a young age you really know how to flatter someone."

He smirked at me, that made him look more handsome despite his young age. I'm sure that he would be more handsome as he grows up.

We reached the bay not so long and sat down the same bench where I first saw him yesterday. The sun is about to set which is why the temperature is not that warm anymore.

"Azriel, what does your mom look like?"

He's swaying his feet while looking at the coconut tree from afar when a smile suddenly rose from his pinkish lips.

"She's pretty and tall, Aunt Tanya. She's got blonde hair and a very sharp eyes. Others said that she looks strict but I think her beauty is the best for me. She always gets mad at me but it's okay. I know she's just trying to discipline me."

I secretly smiled as I watched him. It is fascinating that at his age he has a wide understanding of things. Often in children at his age, they wouldn't have a care in the world but play.

"Is that Uncle Rich?" Azriel asked while looking beside me.

I looked and saw Rich walking at our direction. Face void of any emotion.

Then I realized he never smiles at me anyway.

He sat few meters beside me. I followed the direction he's looking but he's just staring straight ahead.

"Why are you here?" I asked him directly.

"Why didn't you tell me you're leaving?" His brows slanted in a frown.

"I told your mom. I'm actually reluctant to talk to you personally because you were having fun with your friends."

"Even so. You should have at least bid your goodbye even with a nod."

I pouted. Would that even be appropriate? I mean, we're not even that close for me to even consider just nodding at him.

"I'm--I'm sorry."

I breathed a sigh when I felt that he's in a foul mood. I wanted to ask if he has any problems but I opted not to. Instead I faced Azriel whom I found looking back at me. He's smiling at me. I smiled back and stroked at his thick and short hair.

"Up to what time will you wait here?" Rich asked.

"Same as yesterday..." I answered not minding to look at him.

"I'll accompany you then."

That's when I glanced at him.

"Why? We're good here. It's your birthday and you need to entertain your guests, including Michelle."

He raised his brow up. It only made him look more snobbish.

"She told me that you two were classmates before. Are you going to join in her art exhibition?"

I scratched my temple. "I'm not sure. I'm also ashamed of the idea."

"Your works are great. Even mom admires them. You should at least try."

I smiled at him. "Are you actually praising me?"

He didn't answer immediately. His eyes were drilling into mine for a little while before he decided to avoid it.

"I am..." he said.

I pouted, trying to stop myself from smiling. I shifted my eyes away from him and looked at the sky that's starting to turn orange.

I know for myself that I don't like Rich even if his mom, Aunt Fely, is always teasing me about him. I'm just delighted that in the long time he does not notice me, here we are, sitting beside each other, talking like we've been friends ever since.

"Try to join the exhibition, Tanya. At least give it a chance."

I bit my lower lip but did not answer him. I still have a week to think about it. I still have time to prepare.

Like what I promised Azriel, we waited until dawn but, same as yesterday, no one came. His parents did not come back for him. It's then I heard Azriel's familiar sobs.

"I told you. They're not coming back any more." Rich whispered in a low voice. It's obvious that he's also being careful not to be heard by Azriel.

I sighed and didn't bother to look at him. I pulled Azriel carefully and hugged gim. I can't think of any words to console him and make him feel better. I know that whatever alibis I say, it won't work. He's a smart kid. He's probably thinking right now that he's intentionally abandoned by his parents.

"Don't worry, Azriel. I will leave a note here so that when your parents come back for you, they will know where to look for."

Sobbing, he looked up to me. "How?"

I smiled and gently wiped the tears on his face using my thumb.

"I'll take care of it."

I broke free from his embrace and opened my sling bag that's hanging over my body. I took the black marker from them and stood up. I had a glimpse of Rich staring at me with furrowed brows as if he's curious of what I'm about to do.