Chapter 6

My moves are very controlled as I'm still feeling a bit uncomfortable from the fact that Chase is sitting beside me. If Michelle hadn't invited them in the first place, I wouldn't have a hard time.

"Until now I still can't believe that it did happen. I mean, who would have thought that you are actually the man in Tanya's dreams, when the fact remains you two have not even met?" Michelle raised that topic that earned a silent groan from me.

Seriously?! Did she really need to make a fuss about that?

I took a deep breath and silently sip on my drink. As much as possible, I'm trying not to look at them and just focus my eyes on the table. I couldn't even tell if what I'm drinking tastes good or not. Nervous has already taken its toll on me.

Chase is making me feel intimidated. I'm not afraid of him. I really just can't stand that he's making me feel this way. His effect on me is really something I can't explain.

"I don't think it's impossible. I was also dreaming of women before that I haven't met until now. Sometimes they have clear faces but oftentimes, it's just a faceless image. That's about it..." Ryan answered, Chase's friend.

"Yeah, I know. Others say that it's all about soulmate thingy. I mean, I don't think that it's possible in their case, knowing you, Chase..." Michelle laughed. "No offense, Tanya. But I kinda know what type of women Chase wants, and that are those modern and liberated women."

I ascended my eyes to her and smiled a bit. "It's okay."

"Those are just rumors, Michelle. Nobody knows what kind of girl I really like. It could be the kind of you..." he answered, his voice deep and sounded like there's a steel at the back of his throat. It's making him sound deeper and richer. "Or the kind of Allison. You never know."

I had to swallow hard upon hearing his response. I simply looked at him but his eyes were focus ahead of him. I glanced at Ryan and saw that he is looking at me with a smirk on his lips. I pulled away and looked at Rich and Michelle instead. There's a little smile on Michelle's lips. Unlike Rich who's just staring intensely at me.

I noticed that he's in a foul mood. He doesn't talk much and just responds whenever he's asked.

"I know. It's just really weird to think that scene. I find it inexplicable." Michelle said while laughing.

"Don't worry. We will both find out why she keeps on dreaming of me..." Chase answered and then all of a sudden drilled his caramel orbs on me. I had no choice but to look at him too. "Did you dream of me last night?"

I shook my head. "N-no."

"Maybe because you already met the man in your dreams."

For some crazy reason, heat flooded my cheeks, I can feel it burning. Chase must have noticed that I'm blushing for the corners of his lips suddenly raised into a sexy smirk.

"Fucking adorable..." he whispered.

I immediately look away from him when I heard Ryan's whistle. I suddenly felt uneasy that I stood up from my seat. They all anchored their eyes on me and gave them an awkward smile.

"I-I need to go. Thank you for the treat, Michelle. Mama's probably looking for me and I still have important matters to attend to."

"Can't you stay longer, Tanya. We just got here—"

"Mich... Her mom is left alone in their house. Let her go." Rich said, eyes never leaving mine.

I had a glimpse of Chase raising his thick brow the moment he landed his gaze on Rich.

"I'm sorry but I really can't stay long." I responded back.

"Alright then. How about the painting? Would it be fine if Rich would be the one to drop it on your house instead?

When I looked at Rich, I saw him nod his head for approval. I understood his gesture and I smiled to him as an acknowledgement.

"Thank you." I said. I looked at them one by one and smiled before I leave. "I really have to go. Thanks again."

I left my drink and turned my back from them. The wind chimes made a sound as soon as Ipushed the door to open. Luckily, I was able to find a tricycle passing by so I immediately waved my hand to signal I will be riding and went straight home.

When I settled myself inside the tricycle, I looked back inside the coffee shop. I was able to see them clearly because of the glass walls. My heart just went wild upon looking at where Chase is. As the tricycle is heading away from the coffee shop, I had a perfect glimpse of Chase looking at me with his sharp and dark eyes. I immediately diverted my gaze.

"Why am I bothered by his presence? Is it because I still can't believe he really exists? That he is real? Or maybe because I wasn't really expecting an encounter with him apart from my dreams?

My heart is still pounding erratically when I got home. The sun has already set and the sky is getting dark. The only light that can be seen are the lamp posts in front of our house. I opened the white gate and went inside. As soon as I enter the door I could hear Reil's voice talking to my mother.

"My mummy used to buy processed foods for me."

"That's not healthy for your age. You should learn how to eat vegetables so you will have strong body and not get sickly."

"But she always had no time for cooking for me, Aunt Mercy."

I stopped on my tracks when I heard the pain and sadness on Reil's voice with what he said. I know how much he misses his parents. I cannot think of any way for us to be able to get hold of them. But I have to admit that having him here with us brings us so much joy, I'm already considering not returning him with his parents. In a short span of time with this kid, we've adored and learned to love him, treating him as part of our family.

"Reil, would you know if your parents have a Facebook account?" I asked him when we're both settled on my bed.

We're both looking at the dark ceiling, looking at the glow in the dark stars and moon that's placed up there. I remember buying it on the street when Mama and I we're strolling one time.

"Before. All I know is that she already deactivated her account for some reason. I don't know about Papa Meynard. Why?"

I pouted. That's the only way I could get hold of his parents. Maybe the universe is telling me to have this kid with me for the mean time.

"Nothing, just asking. Are you not yet sleepy?

"I was about to sleep when you asked me..." he said and wrapped his tiny arm around my tummy. "Goodnight, Aunt Tanya."

I smiled. "Goodnight, Reil."

I hugged him tight and lulled him to sleep while gently tapping his leg. I closed my eyes only to see Chase's handsome face. Now that I met him and know that he's real, I am always seeing him everywhere. The funny thing was, I can still see his face even if I'm awake. I don't even have to close my eyes to dream of him because his face pops up everywhere.

I feel like he is already a part of me. That he's embedded in me.

☾☽

I was never afraid of the sea water. I actually love to swim, feel the waves hit my body and the warmness of it caressing my skin. But not right now that I feel my lungs getting not enough of oxygen.

"Help!" I shouted, hands and feet are paddling, as I continue to struggle to get out of the water.

I don't know what happen because I suddenly felt weak to swim. I do know how to swim but it seems that the water current is too strong that I couldn't paddle my feet anymore. I feel it pulling me as I struggle more to move up and get some air.

"Help! Help me!" I shouted again, trying to get attention as I look at the shore to find someone to help me, but I found no one.

After only thirty seconds more and I am sinking again, my legs are tired and struggling to bring me back toward the sun-speckled surface. I can't hear the sound of the raging waves anymore and my hair rising like seaweed upwards, rippling in the currents.

I sunk faster and the panic has my heart hammering against my ribs. When I can no longer hold my breath the cold water rushes in, all illusions of surviving are gone.

As my body totally hit the bottom, I felt my head strongly hit a rock. I winced in pain, my eyes starting to became blurry. Just before oxygen deprivation took away all my thoughts and consciousness, I saw a boy who seem to be like my age swimming towards my direction.

"One and a half kilos of pork and chicken please, Tanya"

The loud rattle of the coin that was deliberately placed on the scale in front of me was what made me went back to reality. Miss Teresa stared at me intently, her eyebrows raised and seemed irritated at me.

"I have been standing here for a few minutes already but you seem out of this world. How are you going to attract customers if you're not in yourself?"

Mama borrowed money from her to add in our capital before so we could rent a stall here in the market. But because of other things, we haven't settled from her what we owe which is why she keeps on mumbling about it. From what I know, the remaining amount that's left unpaid is around five thousand pesos.

"I'm sorry, Miss Teresa. Just lack of sleep. Is that all that you need?" I asked while preparing her order of pork and chicken.

I don't know what triggered for that memory to suddenly flashed back on my head. It's almost twenty years ago when I last dreamt of it. I haven't dreamed about that even once. Just last night. What bothers me was the fact that I saw Azriel's face on the same dream.

He's the little boy who was swimming towards me as I hit my head over the rock. Mama said that, that really happened when I was a child. I also remember that scene. I had an accident while swimming at the beach, I was about to drown and hit my head on a rock.

Luckily, I was saved.

"Yes, that's all. I see you still have a lot here, seems like no one's buying yet? Where is your mom anyway?"

"She's home because she's not feeling well, her rheumatism is giving her a hard time."

"Then you should work harder! If you had to work extra hours so you can finally settle your debt, then do so. Five thousand pesos is still a lot of money."

I breathed a deep sigh and anchored my eyes on her. I nod my head as a response. She rolled her eyes on me. I continued chopping the chicken, my hands were filled with its blood.

"That debt of yours is taking you a long time to settle. You should actually be thankful I'm adding a minimal charge as interest."

I've actually thought of just paying her using my own savings so she would stop pestering us every time she gets the chance.

"We'll settle it, Miss Teresa. Please give us a little more time. We'll be able to settle it full in no time—"

"I've heard that line before! Promises! I'm tired of hearing that—"

"Allison..."

From the meat I'm slicing, my gaze darted on the person who called my name. My eyes widened upon seeing Chase standing in front of me with a serious expression on his face. Everyone is gawking at him like he's some sort of a celebrity.

I can't blame them though. He can get anyone's attention. You can really tell he's not fit for this place, that this is not where he belongs. Who in their right mind would be coming in a market dressed in his black slacks and white long sleeve shirt as if he's going to attend a meeting?

But wait, what is he doing here again?

"W-Why are you here?" I asked stammering.

"Tanya, is he your boyfriend? He looks well of. Maybe you can ask him to settle your debt for you instead?"

I swear I would have talked back to Miss Teresa for she's really getting into my nerves. But I don't want to do something I would regret after, and that's not how I was raised by my mother.

I had to take a deep breath to control myself from lashing out. I looked at Chase and saw his brows furrowed while looking at Miss Teresa.

"Is there a problem?" Chase asked then looked back at me.

"Nothing—"

"They owe me money. It's been months but they haven't settled the full amount—"

"I will settle it tomorrow, Miss Teresa..." I said dismissing her.

I've now decided to use some money from my savings just so we can settle this debt. I'm certain I can replace my savings from working hard and selling my paintings. I just can't let her humiliate me in front of Chase.

My eyes anchored on Chase who is now getting his wallet out of his pocket.

"Chase..." I called him, embarrassment filled my entire system.

He didn't look at me and instead, he took some blue paper bills from his wallet. With dark and menacing eyes, he handed the money to Miss.

"Would that be enough?" he asked, voice was stern and cold.

Miss Teresa immediately grabbed the money while smiling widely. My heart beating wildly, I can feel extreme rage and humiliation at the moment.

"Just as I thought. I know you're rich—"

"Leave..."

Her smile suddenly vanished while looking intently at Chase.

"She's not indebted to you anymore, so please leave."

"But I haven't gotten the pork and chicken that I ordered—"

"Go and buy somewhere fucking else." He said, almost growling.