Chapter 9

While I was walking home, I can't help thinking about Chase and his sudden cold treatment towards me. He all of a sudden became rude, if there's any other word on how you would call it, but I want to call it that way. I may have hoped too much that he would be treating me differently because of how we met. I was wrong. He's still a stranger. We are still strangers to each other and here I am, already assuming that he's a good man.

Well I have no doubt. He seems to be a good man. He wouldn't help me in selling meat in the market if he is not. For someone who is as wealthy as him, he lowered his guard down to do what he did, and that speaks something. Maybe something happened which made him in a foul mood. I have to understand that people do have mood swings and Chase isn't an exemption.

I sighed. Too much thinking about him, Tanya.

From looking at my feet, I anchored my eyes in front and looked straight ahead. I was already near our house when I noticed Rich leaning on their gate while staring at me with a serious expression on his face.

I suddenly stopped on my tracks and glanced back at him. I was the first to look away because of the intensity of his stares. I continued walking and just ignored him. He was back to being snobbish again. Even in the coffee shop with Michelle, he would just stare at me but would not dare talk to me. I'm now convinced he doesn't like me at all.

When I was already standing in front of our gate, I bore my gaze into him and nod to acknowledge his presence. Even if he is snob towards me, I still want to treat him nicely.

"Good evening..." I greeted him casually.

He didn't say anything but he keeps on staring at me. It's a few seconds later when he pulled himself from leaning from their gate and ambled towards me.

"It's already late," he said.

"Yeah, I just drop by somewhere before going home. I wasn't able to notice the time."

He stopped in front of me. Since he is taller than me, I had to look up to him.

His black eyes seem to be as dark as a charcoal but despite of it, they look... calm.

"I went to your place in the market and looked for you. I didn't found you there. You left early?"

I nodded. "I finished early."

I wouldn't dare tell him about Chase helping me. I don't know but I just want to keep what happened today to myself. I don't see any reason to tell him either.

"I see. I was with Azriel the whole day. He got bored with Aunt Mercy so I asked him to play games with me. He is already in your house."

"Hmmm... Thank you for looking after him. He really gets bored easily. Don't worry, I'll buy him toys one of these days."

He chuckled and like the usual, I feel amazed whenever I see him smile. Probably because I seldom see him smile or maybe because he really looks good whenever he does that.

But I don't think his is the best smile I've ever seen throughout my whole existence.

"With his mindset, I don't think Azriel would still play toys. I actually think online games is his thing. A PSP will do."

I pouted at that. "Where will I get a PSP for him? Isn't that expensive?"

"Don't worry. I'll lend him mine."

"Hey, you don't have to. Don't bother—"

"I insist. I never really got to use it anyway. I'll be on board next month; someone should use it to refrain it from breaking."

I smiled at him. "O-Okay. Thanks, Rich. So you're finally going back to work?"

"Hmm. My schedule will be full for the next two months."

I nodded. "Take care then."

He smiled. This time, his eyes weren't dark anymore. Though he still looks snobbish, his aura was a bit cool now.

"For you..."

I gave him a small smile. I bid my goodbye to him and went inside the house. Reil's eyes brightened when he saw me.

"Aunt Tanya!" he called out and jumped out of the couch.

I chuckled. "You missed me that much huh?"

"He's been waiting for you the whole day. Why are you a bit late?" Mama asked as she was setting the food on the table for dinner.

"I just dropped by somewhere."

"Where is that? How are the sales today? Were you able to sell everything?"

I have no intention to hide from her what happened today. I'm just a bit wary of how she would react when she hears it.

"Yeah. Everything was sold out. Someone helped me."

I sat beside Reil and had him sit on my lap. I hugged him from behind and that earned a giggle from him. I already consider him part of our family and treat him like a brother. I sometimes act like a mother to him especially because I can't seem to overdo things when I'm taking care of him.

"Who helped you?"

I looked at her. Her hands are on her waist while leaning on the table looking at me with her perilous eyes. I bit the lower part of my lip and looked down to Reil while pretending to be busy.

"It was Chase."

"Chase? The man in your dreams and your paintings? What was he doing there? I don't remember offering him a side job on our stall?"

I pouted. "Mama, it's not like that. I will explain to you later. Just calm down, will you?"