Broken Ties

. . . .

Kaanch ke wo khwaab

naazuk the humare saareChhoone se hi tootne lage

. . . .

The night came faster than expected. Kabir and Nishtha walked into the living room discussing a patient's case history. Their feet halted when their gaze fell on Pooja.

Pooja sat down on sofa heart broken. Her worst nightmare had just turned into her darkest reality. She didn't know whether it was her mind playing games with her or she was an idiot from the beginning. Her cousins and brother surrounded her and tried breaking her trance, but she was too absorbed in accepting her truth.

"Pooja" Her father called her. He placed his hand on her shoulder which she jerked away immediately.

"Congrats Dad. Congrats. How should we celebrate this day?" She said trying hard not to choke on her tears. Her father took a step back at her harsh words.

"Beta..."

"Don't. Just don't. Don't say it was for my good because both of us know that you don't care about my being.. I am alone today because of you" She stood up and looked at her father in hatred.

"It's not like that. You are making a fuss over a small thing"

"A small thing! That small thing is something really big for me. It always was. You coming to our annual day was a big thing, you looking for me at home when I wasn't there was a big thing to me. You won't understand. You never did and you never will"

"Stop being jealous over your brother. How can you be jealous of your own brother?" He asked in shock. Soham looked at his sister feeling lost. He had known about his father's indifference towards the 2 kids and yet he didn't do anything to stop his father.

"I can never be jealous of him. Each day I've asked god to give my share of luck to him. He is like my kid and no mother can every be jealous of her child. Soham has been a part of me. I can be angry on him but not jealous. Never say I am jealous of Soham" Pooja's voice raised.

"Di can't be jealous of me papa. She's given me her share everytime. With her by my side, I've received everything that was supposed to be hers. Love, respect, fortune, luck, everything. If I am at a position it is because of di" Soham held Pooja's hand tightly showing that he believes in his sister more than their father.

"You never had time for me. The only person who cared for me also left me. Mumma left us and I was left to fight for my right all alone. Your presence has never affected me because you were never there for me. On every step I took towards my new life, you were never there. I knew that I couldn't look up to you when I needed help. I fought my way here" She placed light punches on her father's chest.

"Believe what you want to. I've loved you both equally." He said unaffected by her words. 

"No you don't. Till mumma was there, I had someone in the crowd who would clap for me. But after she left, when was the last time you attended my annual day. You weren't even there for my graduation day. But when I gave your company a new phase, you are telling everyone proudly that I am your daughter. I am my mum's child not yours. You forced me to get married to Jaidev, I refused. I cried but you didn't care. He left me too. I liked Sid but even he has left. I am alone today because of you" She held her father's collars in a tight grip, preventing herself from falling onto the ground from the burden of emotions.

"Di" Soham held his sister who almost fell onto the ground.

"Why can't you see me happy? You ruined my marriage life, got me divorced and tainted at heart for forever. I thought Sid loved me, but I forgot you and him are one team. I have always trusted wrong men. How do I even blame you when I am at fault, when I did a mistake. I was at fault that I expected love from those who only worshipped the popular ones. I really thought Sid wouldn't be like you. I am done with you. I can't do this anymore" She removed her hand from Soham's hands and ran to her room and shut it close. She dragged herself to the balcony and slumped down.